Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 Re: Dark Discussions at Cafe Infinity » Global Warming- It's Happening! » 2008-08-07 15:13:41

Laterally Speaking wrote:

SF6 is extremely toxic, being a compound of sulfur and fluorine, both of which are highly toxic to most known forms of life.

Sulphur hexafluoride is not toxic. Just because a molecule is constructed from toxic atoms, it does not mean that the end result is toxic. Take table salt (sodium chloride) sodium would bore a hole through your skin on contact with your skin's moisture as it combined to sodium hydroxide (a strong base) and massive amounts of heat, while chlorine would combine with the moisture to create hydrochloric acid (a strong acid).

mikau wrote:

aren't trees a little more than that? Aren't they a crucial component of our environment necessary for our own existence?

Aye, they are crucial, (maybe in a pinch the other photosynthesizing organisms on the planet could take up the burden of the trees...). I remember reading once (when I was much younger) that a full grown tree (I can't remember the type of tree) could produce enough oxygen to keep 70 people alive. I wonder how many kilograms of carbon dioxide the tree would absorb in a year...





As for this global warming topic, I do not necessarily believe in merely global warming, I believe in recent rapid/chaotic global-climate changes.

Some places are getting much warmer than their average and others are getting much cooler than their average. Even the weather here in Lethbridge is all screwed up. Our winters used to be snow for a few days, and the snow would last for weeks. Now it snows a whole lot for a day or two, then a chinook (warm wind) comes in and melts the snow within a week. It snows a whole lot once again and after a few more days it melts.

I know something bad is happening, and it is not necessarily a warming in all places; it is an imbalance of climates on the whole of the Earth.

#3 Re: Dark Discussions at Cafe Infinity » do fish have a personality » 2008-03-27 17:22:10

I suppose the question of whether a fish has a personality can only be answered once a person defines the meaning of 'personality'.


As for the creepy chicken (How it managed to function and act normally with only a brain stem confuses me), here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_Headless_Chicken

#4 Re: Dark Discussions at Cafe Infinity » New UFC Video For Pay » 2008-02-09 19:19:12

I want to see a Chinese grandmaster step in the ring and drop the opponent with one hit, lol. Pressure point warfare.

#5 Re: Dark Discussions at Cafe Infinity » how do you view your own memory system? » 2008-01-28 20:24:22

It's quite simple, really. My brain is built as an assembly line. Thoughts which are deemed important enough to remember and build onto are placed on the massive ring-shaped conveyor belt, 'A', which is analogous to long-term memory storage. Recent thoughts which have not been placed on 'A' are placed on the ragged and 'holy' (full of holes) conveyor belt 'B'. Many of the items placed on 'B' tend to fall off the side of the belt, or get  crushed when they fall between the upper and lower belt sections, and get pulled into an axle. Finally, there is belt 'C'. Belt 'C' is for thoughts which are deemed 'unsafe' for handling by the assembly line. Belt 'C' is covered with a variety of things, such as thumbtacks and magnets. At the end of belt 'C' is a massive furnace, though most thoughts don't make it that far, as they remain stuck to the belt for another pass. When production levels begin to fall, the foreman orders other things to be made... no matter how preposterous... which explains why I start mumbling incoherently when I am very bored, very tired, or very distraught.

#6 Re: This is Cool » Nature Vs Home work » 2008-01-28 20:14:22

Zach wrote:

...which you appear to be having trouble in.

Oh, the irony...

Zach wrote:

Nature is large enough to not whine about how we're cutting down trees to make paper out of, so it can get over itself.

Pretty much. Besides, if the forces of nature want to put an end to our herbicidal ways, they will just rain fire upon us or worse...

#7 Re: Dark Discussions at Cafe Infinity » 3 wishes » 2008-01-17 13:26:49

1. Immortality
2. Invincibility
3. Three more wishes (Infinite if possible)

#8 Re: Dark Discussions at Cafe Infinity » Star Wars » 2008-01-17 13:18:39

It is a Hutt. I don't have a smiley, so I'll pass it on, lol.

EDIT: S/he's cute, by the way smile (unlike the creature it represents, lol)

#9 Re: Coder's Corner » randomly generated planet » 2008-01-05 11:23:49

I have always been fascinated by artificially generated worlds. Your example is very nice. I like it a lot (the fact that it can be viewed in real-time is a great bonus. Most of the worlds I have looked at are just rendered images)

#11 Re: This is Cool » Domestos Kills Germs! » 2008-01-05 10:43:29

simron wrote:

Is there a flaw? I think so...:/

I don't think there is a flaw. I use this to prove that .999... = 1

#14 Re: This is Cool » 0.9999....(recurring) = 1? » 2008-01-01 19:52:07

George,Y wrote:

{1, 2 , 3, 4, 5, ...}

You have a set of all natural numbers...

George,Y wrote:

matching by +1=
{2, 3,  4, 5, 6, ...}

You have a set of all natural numbers excluding 1...

George,Y wrote:

above plus the set {1}=
{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,...}#

You have a set of all natural numbers...

I realize that although both sets are infinite, technically, {1, 2, 3, ...} has one more element than {2, 3, 4, ...}. This is a most confusing thing...

I don't understand what you are trying to prove.

I would think that 0.09999... + 0.9 has the same number of nines as 0.9...




I like my rationalization of 0.9... lol

#15 Re: Dark Discussions at Cafe Infinity » Japan talk » 2007-12-21 18:51:51

Indeed. I often do hear the sounds seeming to alternate between L and R though... especially in songs. Oh well.

#16 Re: Dark Discussions at Cafe Infinity » i dislike people » 2007-12-19 14:12:37

mason777 wrote:

its weird how sivilized people like us have to hang aroud those people.

A person can be civil and stupid at the same time.

homines stulti, autem, me non superaverint!
(The foolish people, however, shall not overcome me!)

#17 Re: Dark Discussions at Cafe Infinity » Japan talk » 2007-12-19 13:51:33

johnathon2 wrote:

how do you say johnathon in japnesse wave

Romanized, it would probably be similar to 'jo-na-son'

Technically, Japanese doesn't even have an 'R' as we do in English, it is often described as a cross between an English L and an English R.

I have noticed that many pronounciations of the 'U' in Japanese are either silent, voiced quietly, or very similar to the French 'U'.

#18 Re: Dark Discussions at Cafe Infinity » how old » 2007-12-19 13:43:36

I am twenty... but I often have the mentality of a nine-year-old... so childish... lol

#19 Re: Dark Discussions at Cafe Infinity » God is true » 2007-12-19 13:39:25

How delicious... one of my favourite subjects...

From my point of view, God is false.

Why?

1. Humans are imperfect things
2. Imperfect things cannot create perfect things
3. Religions were created by humans therefore religions are imperfect
4. Sciences were created by humans therefore sciences are imperfect
5. Reproducing religious evidence cannot be reasonably reproduced by outside testers, yet scientific evidence can
6. Human language cannot possibly describe everything, as it was created by humans.
7. Divine power cannot be measured
8. The bible is not a source of absolute truth, as it often contradicts itself, it was written over many centuries, and it was written by humans
9. Human memory is imperfect, what we think we remember can vary dramatically from what we actually perceived.


That being said, if there is a god or gods, and they are forgiving, understanding, and they created me, then they should be able to understand that I need personal evidence to believe in their existence, and will forgive my imperfection which they themselves created. If there is an afterlife, and I am sapient within it, then sign me up. Either way, I am still going to lead a fulfilled and enjoyable life as long as I can, because I don't want to try and wait for something that, by my opinion, does not likely exist. I'll take my *positive* rewards now, instead of after dying, thank you.

#20 Re: Dark Discussions at Cafe Infinity » My fears » 2007-12-19 12:56:54

Death
Never waking up (but still alive and not dreaming)
Being forgotten

Basically anything that prevents me from consciously exploring the world around me... I would prefer dreaming forever than being comatose...

#21 Re: This is Cool » check this out » 2007-12-19 11:59:45

What a strange game... I found that blade of death easy... I look forward to finishing all of your puzzles smile

It is unfortunate that by their very layouts, many of these puzzles seem to give the answers to which blocks should be which colours... the challenge is finding a route to change them.

Well... I solved them all... took me 25 minutes, so that's an okay mental exercise. Nice job smile

EDIT: I stand corrected... some of these puzzles on hard difficulty are very convoluted...

#22 Re: Exercises » Snooker » 2007-12-11 18:30:10

Jeez...

My first thought: That's a huge fricken' table!

My second thought: The possible combinations to try are overwhelming!

#23 Re: Help Me ! » determinants » 2007-12-11 18:26:16

Determinants... such interesting constructions.

A matrix's determinant is also zero if:
- Two rows have the same entries
- Two columns have the same entries

#24 Re: Introductions » i'm crazy! » 2007-12-11 18:17:43

I am from a civilization which uses this and five other galaxies to power our ship which contains these six galaxies. We are from a previous incarnation of the universe where we used the mass to construct our vessel. The reason you see other galaxies is because our ship's reactor's hull allows energy to pass from the outside to the inside, but not the other way around. Our ship uses advanced technology to prevent gravitational stresses and collisions between external objects and the hull. Imagine the largest galaxy you can. Place twelve of them end to end along their longest axes. Our ship is this long.

#25 Re: This is Cool » Invented By Men » 2007-12-11 17:20:29

Ah yes... the water knife. They have many at one of the fry plants in a town by the city I live in.

Intriguing... I have often wondered what would happen if you froze super-carbonated water into ice cubes. I suppose the result would be similar to these pop rock things.

Question: Do these inventions have to have been successful, or can failed inventions also be included?

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB