Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-27 04:25:53

lindyy

how do you view your own memory system?

Hia

If memory is the brain function that records information, stores it as data and recalls said retained data, how would you describe your own memory system? What does it look like, how does it work

personally I think I view mine structurally similar to the universe, with a ga-billion-trillion stars, clustered together at various points, with no sides or end. and when i recall a memory a selection of stars all very far apart are joined together through connecting lines, drawing information from far and wide to bring together the information i have requested.

There must be so many different imaginative ways people view their own mind

Lindsayy

#2 2008-01-27 07:01:52

Zach

Re: how do you view your own memory system?

It looks like a trash can.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#3 2008-01-27 22:01:36

NullRoot

Zach wrote:

It looks like a trash can.

...with a little green muppet inside?

You know when you see an eccentric teacher/professor's house in a movie or TV show and there's books and papers piled everywhere? Yeah, it's like that.

Trillian: Five to one against and falling. Four to one against and falling… Three to one, two, one. Probability factor of one to one. We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can’t cope with is therefore your own problem.

#4 2008-01-28 07:43:28

John E. Franklin

My brain is an atomic factory etching every sense ever recorded as multiple streams as
they arrived from the real-world senses.  My recover and search engine is failing by
leaps and bounds however.  Can't remember anymore about it.
oh yeah, then while sleeping, in between dreaming, other atomic snakes
are strung together by mulling over previous streams, and copying snippets to
build new streams that follow similar categories.  The search engine constantly
is jumping around and missing critical pieces of data however...

Last edited by John E. Franklin (2008-01-28 07:52:29)

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#5 2008-01-28 07:56:40

luca-deltodesco

i imagine it like i imagine my brain

http://www.andreae.com/images/Pictures_and_Logos/Internet-map.gif

kind of like that internet map, only obviously more massive, colourful and immersive rather than being seen from a distance

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#6 2008-01-28 20:24:22

Kargoneth

It's quite simple, really. My brain is built as an assembly line. Thoughts which are deemed important enough to remember and build onto are placed on the massive ring-shaped conveyor belt, 'A', which is analogous to long-term memory storage. Recent thoughts which have not been placed on 'A' are placed on the ragged and 'holy' (full of holes) conveyor belt 'B'. Many of the items placed on 'B' tend to fall off the side of the belt, or get  crushed when they fall between the upper and lower belt sections, and get pulled into an axle. Finally, there is belt 'C'. Belt 'C' is for thoughts which are deemed 'unsafe' for handling by the assembly line. Belt 'C' is covered with a variety of things, such as thumbtacks and magnets. At the end of belt 'C' is a massive furnace, though most thoughts don't make it that far, as they remain stuck to the belt for another pass. When production levels begin to fall, the foreman orders other things to be made... no matter how preposterous... which explains why I start mumbling incoherently when I am very bored, very tired, or very distraught.

Last edited by Kargoneth (2008-01-28 20:24:44)

#7 2008-01-29 18:07:20

Identity

Mine's like a big cloud of fog, and then things suddenly pop out of the fog whenever something interesting is going on... that's my long term memory.

My short-term memory is like a blurry diagram, like one of those graphs you see in graph theory. And one thing is linked to several others.

Board footer