Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-23 12:31:02

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Symmetry Jigsaw Puzzles

See what you think of my Symmetry Jigsaw Puzzles

Let me know your times (include name of jigsaw, rows, columns and piece type).

Suggestions and comments welcome.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2007-07-23 13:02:27

mikau

Re: Symmetry Jigsaw Puzzles

A mandlebrot set jigsaw puzzle? eek

I'm in heaven! cool

very cool, and i like how the cracks dissapear for a bit after you finish. Wish that happend in real life! neutral

Anyway, if you want some criticism, the fact that all the pieces are always on the board makes it feel a bit cluttered at times. Wasn't really much of a problem but some may find it more irritating than others. What really confused me though was when an all black piece was overlapping a partially black piece, and i didn't realize they were two.

Anyway, just minor issues and they aren't really bothersome to me. Just bringing them to your attention.

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#3 2007-07-23 13:21:45

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks mikau!

mikau wrote:

... the fact that all the pieces are always on the board makes it feel a bit cluttered at times.

What is the other way then?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2007-07-23 13:28:16

mikau

well when i solve a puzzle, i keep all the unplaced pieces in the box to separate the pieces i've placed from the pieces i'm searching through. So a possible solution would be to have a box below containing a cluster of pieces, and a box above contianing the solved puzzle. The rules for the above box would simply be that no piece can be placed ontop of another.

Anyway, just a thought.

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#5 2007-07-23 20:40:30

mathsyperson

MathsIsFun wrote:

Thanks mikau!

mikau wrote:

... the fact that all the pieces are always on the board makes it feel a bit cluttered at times.

What is the other way then?

I think the border should be made bigger. If it's possible to fit all the pieces on the border with no overlap, then that should stop the clutter from happening.

Another possible feature could be the choice to turn off the faded picture in the background. Some people might find it too easy with that there.

Also, when you make a "cluster piece" by connecting pieces together correctly, there's sometimes a bit of a lag between you moving one of those and the rest of them following.

Aside from those things though, a nice little diversion. I like how you've put in options for piece shapes.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#6 2007-07-23 21:33:06

justlookingforthemoment

An idea to possibly make it harder would be to make the puzzle pieces face in different directions, so that they are not necessarily all the right way round. The player would need to rotate the pieces to fit.

#7 2007-07-23 22:28:07

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Mikau and Mathsy: I will work on a bigger border ... maybe some extra space below. I am always mindful of people on 800x600 displays, though that gets less each year.

Also, turning off faded picture option sounds good, mathsy. May need a thumbnail, though.

jl: rotating pieces ... I will see how hard it is to do.

Good ideas.

Oh, and if you find any symmetry images that would make a good jigsaw, let me know.

#8 2007-07-24 12:17:51

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Now has a larger work surface, and thumbnail and/or background option.

#9 2007-07-24 20:09:23

luca-deltodesco

what i do like that you've done, is to stray from the usual, if you place it close to the right place, its snaps to position which allows you to pretty much guess at where they go, what youve done is make it only snap when you place it adjacent to the correct piece and you can place it wherever smile

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#10 2007-07-24 22:26:35

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Yes! Just like a real jigsaw, I think.

#11 2007-07-24 22:54:06

luca-deltodesco

what you could try and do, not sure how it would work out, but you could make the canvas itself navigationable with interface to zoom in and out, so you could have larger jigsaws where you can zoom out to see the whole thing, and zoom into a specific section ^^

#12 2007-07-24 23:34:10

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Neat idea. Need to think how.

#13 2007-07-24 23:57:36

luca-deltodesco

you could use the mouse wheel for zooming in and out, and have the canvas panning done by dragging the mouse on the stage (obvsiouly, areas not covered with a jigsaw piece)

#14 2007-07-25 00:21:18

mathsyperson

If you do use a mousewheel as a control for anything, make sure you have a keyboard alternative as well. Some people don't have mousewheels, and others (like mine) are very sticky and so horrible to use.

I'm probably being a bit fussy now, but if the background picture is turned off, it would be nice to have a rectangle to show the size of the picture you're building.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#15 2012-01-31 12:57:01

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Just did a small upgrade to the Symmetry Jigsaw Puzzles

You can now go fullscreen.

Does it work OK for everyone?

#16 2012-01-31 14:59:04

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi MIF;

Yes, it is working nicely.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer