Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#51 2007-05-30 07:25:55

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Re: Global Warming- It's Happening!

LQ wrote:

... everything is toxic in big amounts. Greenhouse gas is toxic in the amounts we use. More deadly then any poison that has ever been used.

It has been proven that everything is a poison, including oxygen! the air we breathe is responsible for our aging. In some ways we "rust" (we oxidize all the time) by breathing. I guess this means that if we didn't breathe, we wouldn't age... we would just die of asphyxia...

Also (though this may be slightly off-subject), anything is also a cure for something. In small amounts, something is a cure. In larger amounts, it's a poison.

"Knowledge is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined."
"This woman painted a picture of me; she was clearly a psychopath"

#52 2007-05-30 07:26:07

LQ
Real Member

You do understand that when the winter comes, they will try to overdo it? Release huge amounts of super greenhouse gases, a hundred thousand times worse then carbon dioxide?

Last edited by LQ (2007-05-30 07:28:13)

I see clearly now, the universe have the black dots, Thus I am on my way of inventing this remedy...

#53 2007-05-30 07:38:07

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

I think I wanna find a way to leave the planet... soon!

#54 2007-05-30 07:42:01

LQ
Real Member

The point is, there is no turning back, either we wait this 14 times longer ice age out or we release more greenhouse gases. If we wait it out, we die. We have no choice.

Unless ofcourse we release iron dust in the sea. We might make it to a normal ice age. If we do it now at ones.

We'd die anyway.

Last edited by LQ (2007-05-30 07:52:47)

I see clearly now, the universe have the black dots, Thus I am on my way of inventing this remedy...

#55 2007-05-30 08:08:06

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Releasing more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere will make it deadly to breathe. It will also do nothing but delay the freeze, as well as augment the size of it when it comes.

Releasing the amount of iron necessary to change anything into the ocean will kill all marine life. That means less food for humans, and we're already running out.

The best solution is to move to somewhere hot, like near the equator, though this is hardly a good solution for the current population of the planet.

#56 2007-05-30 08:12:45

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Probably, like you said, most of humanity will not survive. Ice ages ARE there to regulate things, in a way... I guess that's what'll happen, though I don't intend to be of the non-survivors myself!

Last edited by Laterally Speaking (2007-05-31 04:51:29)

#57 2007-05-30 08:20:08

LQ
Real Member

Laterally Speaking wrote:

Releasing more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere will make it deadly to breathe. It will also do nothing but delay the freeze, as well as augment the size of it when it comes.

Not if we release the super greenhouse gases, that are a hundredthousand times more effective then carbondioxide.

About moving to the equator:
Watcha know, back to the roots.

About it not being funny at all:
No kidding!

About not releasing iron dust in the ocean:
we can release it further up, where no one will live. Cause we don't have enough fuel to run the fishingboats up there anyway, probably.

About the double posting, just delete one.

Last edited by LQ (2007-05-30 08:27:40)

#58 2007-05-30 08:42:48

Ricky

Not if we release the super greenhouse gases, that are a hundredthousand times more effective then carbondioxide.

Such as?  And what evidence is there that an ice age is coming?  And what is the iron dust you speak of?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#59 2007-05-30 09:28:44

LQ
Real Member

On further notice, that gas might be bad to release.

How about this gas:

wikipedia wrote:

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, SF6 is the most potent greenhouse gas that it has evaluated, with a global warming potential of 22,200 times that of CO2 over a 100 year period (for countries reporting their emissions to the UNFCCC, a GWP of 23,900 for SF6 is used as it was decreted at the third Conference of the Parties: GWP used in Kyoto protocol).[3] Its mixing ratio in the atmosphere is lower than that of CO2 (about 4 ppt in 1990 versus 365 ppm of carbon dioxide),[4] its contribution to global warming is accordingly low.

I guess it would be a last desperate solution, perhaps that wouldn't work with the ozone either so it's better to not test it.

Last edited by LQ (2007-05-30 09:31:49)

#60 2007-05-30 09:34:05

LQ
Real Member

Ricky wrote:

Such as?  And what evidence is there that an ice age is coming?  And what is the iron dust you speak of?

Iron dust is just that: dust of iron. If you release it in the sea, the sea turns grean of algies, and the algies will absorb the carbon dioxide.

The ice age is comming because we messed things up Ricky. The ice is almost gone, and that is the way to the ice age.

Last edited by LQ (2007-05-30 09:35:39)

#61 2007-05-31 05:14:02

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Take a look at the "graph" I posted a while ago. Just about the only solution to this imbalance is the one that's coming: a massive, climate-stabilizing ice age, that will remove huge amounts of CO2 and other pollutants from the planet (sort of). Like it is said in The Day After Tomorrow: massive storms occur when there's an imbalance in the climate, atmosphere, or other. If it gets too hot, the planet'll freeze a couple years later (this is EXACTLY what's happening today, it's just never happened on such a huge scale as far back as we can tell).

#62 2007-05-31 05:25:38

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

The CO2 level on the "graph" I posted is estimated to reach somewhere around Devantè's post above that by the end of the decade (3 years from now).

#63 2007-06-01 06:39:16

LQ
Real Member

From what I see in this magasine, the CO2 level is one third of what it was at the Perm Trias Catastrophy though. But that was really bad.

#64 2007-06-05 04:15:24

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Here's an interesting and scary movie to watch (everything in it is true): "Who killed the electric car?" There was also some documentary made with (and by) Al Gore (I think) of which I can't remember the name.

#65 2007-06-10 00:26:25

LQ
Real Member

W8 wait, todays carbon dioxide level is not so high, it will take 200 years for it to reach 1/3 of the Perm-trias level, that was 3000 ppmv

#66 2007-06-11 03:55:10

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

At the rate it's rising, it will take, say, a hundredth of that estimate.

#67 2007-06-11 04:31:07

Ricky

LQ wrote:

W8 wait, todays carbon dioxide level is not so high, it will take 200 years for it to reach 1/3 of the Perm-trias level, that was 3000 ppmv

The problem isn't that CO2 is too high.  It's that we as humans are causing the rate of release to skyrocket.  Many places have economies based largely on the environment, and by changing something like CO2 levels, the entire biosphere gets changed.  When you do this, places dependent upon agriculture and the like are destroyed.  Also, the world is entirely different from what it was millions of years ago.  The two really aren't comparable.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#68 2007-06-11 14:17:03

George,Y

The hotter it is, the worse mummals live. They are born to suit colder environment.

X'(y-Xβ)=0

#69 2007-06-12 22:14:01

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Like you said, the problem is, unfortunately, US, HUMAN BEINGS. This may be rather upsetting, but I'm just stating the facts as best as I can.

#70 2007-06-16 18:28:06

chatalot
Real Member

We are all talking about this, but no-one is doing anything. For example, do any of you shut you computer down then switch it off at the plug? Same with TVs. And how many people have energy saving light bulbs installed in all the lights at their house? If every one that reads this does that, then tells others to do it too, the we could actually make a difference. Try it. And look at my signiture.

For the world. For your country. For YOU.

#71 2007-06-16 18:35:02

Ricky

chatalot wrote:

We are all talking about this, but no-one is doing anything. For example, do any of you shut you computer down then switch it off at the plug? Same with TVs. And how many people have energy saving light bulbs installed in all the lights at their house? If every one that reads this does that, then tells others to do it too, the we could actually make a difference. Try it. And look at my signiture.

Unfortunately, we can't make too much of a difference.  Driving certainly has a large influence on carbon dioxide, but it is no where in comparison to the amount released by industries, especially in America, China, and India.  Residential causes of carbon dioxide are not really all too significant.

Does this mean you shouldn't try to conserve and save energy?  Absolutely not.  But just realize that we must also get industry to help if we want to make a significant impact.

#72 2007-06-16 21:39:13

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Here's something else that's scary: look up the Kola Peninsula; there are hundreds of nuclear submarines sitting at the bottom of the ocean, more nuclear power plants on a 100km2 area than in the rest of the world, and a dozen nuclear ice-breakers and other nuclear-powered ships sitting in the port, IN THE WATER. Apparently, spending a week in the air there takes about a decade off your life.

As for me, I can say that, yes, I turn off the computer using the power strip, as well as the TV. All the bulbs in the house are Halogens. The heating has been off since March, so I can say that this house is relatively low on the energy-consumption scale.

#73 2007-06-16 23:33:26

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

How about this gas:

wikipedia wrote:

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, SF6 is the most potent greenhouse gas that it has evaluated, with a global warming potential of 22,200 times that of CO2 over a 100 year period (for countries reporting their emissions to the UNFCCC, a GWP of 23,900 for SF6 is used as it was decreted at the third Conference of the Parties: GWP used in Kyoto protocol).[3] Its mixing ratio in the atmosphere is lower than that of CO2 (about 4 ppt in 1990 versus 365 ppm of carbon dioxide),[4] its contribution to global warming is accordingly low.

SF6 is extremely toxic, being a compound of sulfur and fluorine, both of which are highly toxic to most known forms of life.

#74 2007-06-16 23:40:35

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

It may have been said here already, but an ice age is period of stabilization for the environment. The one that's coming is coming because humans have destabilized everything.

Here's an interesting analogy: take a flywheel. Set it spinning VERY fast. Now place a 1-pound weight on it. Watch what happens: the weight makes the flywheel destabilize, then the weight gets launched off. After the weight is gone, the flywheel might spin a little off-balance for awhile, then it will go back to normal.
We humans are the weight that destabilizes the flywheel, or the environment.

#75 2007-06-29 18:10:16

chatalot
Real Member

Laterally Speaking wrote:

Here's something else that's scary: look up the Kola Peninsula; there are hundreds of nuclear submarines sitting at the bottom of the ocean, more nuclear power plants on a 100km2 area than in the rest of the world, and a dozen nuclear ice-breakers and other nuclear-powered ships sitting in the port, IN THE WATER. Apparently, spending a week in the air there takes about a decade off your life.

eek yikes faint

For the world. For your country. For YOU.

Board footer