Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-23 03:58:51

hebs_peace

swearing...(bad language)

some of the people i know..keep on swearing..i dont get it...whats the point of swearing ??!!??i asked this gurl tht why she swore so much..she said because it LOOKS or SOUNDS COOL!!

i dont think it sounds cool..i think it sounds desperate for attention and showing what a WANNA BE you are..

its really irritating seeing people swear soo much!!in each and every sentence she used..she had a swear word in it!!

<<i gotta say though..she got me sooo mad i told her to shut the f*** up!!!>>:mad:

Nottygurl

#2 2006-05-23 07:03:47

John E. Franklin

Re: swearing...(bad language)

I think that when you swear on this forum, the swear word shouldn't be exchanged with the word "math" as this confuses the reader.  I think that something along the lines of square bracket, inappropriate word has been sensored, closed bracket, would be better.   Ideally, no sensoring should be automatically done by a computer because it creates an environment where information about math cannot be communicated in an efficient manner.   Why do we sensor words, MIF?

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#3 2006-05-23 09:36:22

Ricky

You're right, hebs_peace, swear words shouldn't be used to make one sound cool.  But instead, if they are used appropriately, they can be used to express emotion, which is one of the purposes of language.

Now, of course my view isn't one which is held by most of the people in society today.  And because of that, swearing can get you in a lot of trouble, especially if you are young.  If only it was a perfect world...

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#4 2006-05-23 10:21:18

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Swearing to be cool? That must be the definition of "cool" that means slavishly copying what everyone else does so as to fit in (see Stereotype) ... !  smile

We censor swear words (and delete offensive posts) so as not to shock or offend people who simply come here to understand or get help. I know swearing is fine for many people, but not all!

When I first implemented the swear filter, I just used "math" for every replacement, but I can use individual replacements. I could use "%!@*" instead.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2006-05-23 14:38:19

John E. Franklin

Hey, you know what would be really fun!  Create a translator that attempts to convert these inappropriate phrases and single and pairs of words into reasonable expressions of similar meaning.  I'm not good at swears, but it would be neat!  But if it was translated, there should be an obvious accompanying note that says this was not the original wording for the post.  That's only fair to say that the post has been altered.
For example, say the word "red" was bad.
When one writes:  I saw a red house.
The forum display routine could display this as:  I saw a [inappropriate word usually intended to infer the meaning of: "orange" was originally here] house.
And at the beginning of the post it could say: "This post has been editted due to impolite wording."
Just a thought.

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#6 2006-05-23 21:32:39

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Funny! Short word becomes a long explanation! We could make it as dry and involved as possible as a punishment.

But perhaps we don't really want to even guess what someone was saying.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#7 2006-05-24 04:43:35

mikau

You know replacing the F-word with feet might be funny.

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#8 2006-05-24 05:46:58

John E. Franklin

Or you could mix up the letters of the swear to make it cryptic or show s*e*r in place of swear.
Or r*d in place of red.
J*h* in place of John, etc.

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#9 2006-05-24 09:39:34

MathsIsFun
Administrator

mikau wrote:

What the feet! How did you think of that feeting idea?

#10 2006-05-25 00:23:06

Ninja 101

S word- socks?

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being saught. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.

#11 2006-05-25 05:10:50

hebs_peace

gudd ideas u guys got der...but everyone of ur frnds would have to know what u r talkin bout and if some of them didnt....you would have to explain it to them!!imagine if none of ur frnds got it...would b horrible init!

Nottygurl

#12 2006-05-27 09:23:19

luca-deltodesco

MathsIsFun wrote:
mikau wrote:

i can remember in worms armageddon (a game) if you had the swear filter on, then the f-word would be changed to 'love' when i reinstalled i forgot to disable it, and i was becoming quite confused

whenevr anyone would say f*** you, i would keep seeing love you, and i was getting a bit disturbed (in the context it was being used)

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#13 2006-05-27 12:53:58

mikau

MathsIsFun wrote:
mikau wrote:

Feet, I dunno, just feetin' around... I guess..

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#14 2006-06-06 01:18:00

Paperclip_Madness

mikau wrote:
MathsIsFun wrote:
mikau wrote:

Ha ha.

Replacing the f-word with 'feet' just makes it sound so warped and lame... I like it. big_smile

My mother was a ventriloquist, and was always throwing her voice. For ten years I thought my dog was telling me to kill my father.

#15 2006-06-09 07:18:28

hebs_peace

feet??lol...sounds pretty funni....'FEET OFF!!'lolz....not so shure bout tht

Nottygurl

#16 2006-12-09 09:34:49

hebs_peace

although..i still want to know how to deal with such people. I mean it makes me extremely uncomfortable to be around that girl or anybody else as such...HELP!!

Nottygurl

#17 2006-12-09 16:00:55

Toast
Real Member

Paperclip_Madness wrote:
mikau wrote:
MathsIsFun wrote:

Ha ha.

Replacing the f-word with 'feet' just makes it sound so warped and lame... I like it. big_smile

I feeting second that! up

Last edited by Toast (2006-12-09 16:02:16)

#18 2006-12-09 16:03:12

Toast
Real Member

Awww, I wanted to start a quote chain, but it seems like you can only have 3 quotes quoted at a time sad

#19 2006-12-09 20:58:58

Devantè
Real Member

Toast wrote:
Paperclip_Madness wrote:
mikau wrote:

Ha ha.

I feeting second that! up

That is true to prevent spam.

Last edited by Devanté (2006-12-09 20:59:42)

#20 2006-12-10 01:40:53

mathsyperson

And yet now spam is being created by people talking about spam prevention methods.
Clearly irony doesn't go on holiday at Christmas.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#21 2006-12-10 02:12:43

Devantè
Real Member

And yet spam is being created by people talking about people talking about spam prevention methods.

Anyway, I agree with Ricky. Swearing can be used to express emotion. Although it may seem inappropriate, there must be another way of getting emotion across via censored swearing.

#22 2019-11-12 18:44:24

Monox D. I-Fly

hebs_peace wrote:

some of the people i know..keep on swearing..i dont get it...whats the point of swearing ??!!??i asked this gurl tht why she swore so much..she said because it LOOKS or SOUNDS COOL!!

i dont think it sounds cool..i think it sounds desperate for attention and showing what a WANNA BE you are..

its really irritating seeing people swear soo much!!in each and every sentence she used..she had a swear word in it!!

<<i gotta say though..she got me sooo mad i told her to shut the f*** up!!!>>:mad:

Well, I don't know about that girl, but the ones who tend to swear are usually teenagers. And yes, they think it looks and sounds cool, showing off that they have the guts to do little misdeeds in public. And yes, teenagers are wanna be desperate for attention.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

Board footer