Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#6701 2019-04-21 00:43:18

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: General Quiz

Hi,

#7207. A Boy and His Atom is a 2013 stop-motion animated short film released on YouTube by IBM Research. What is special about it?

#7208. Name the mixture of nitric acid and hydrochloric acid, optimally in a molar ratio of 1:3. It is a yellow-orange (sometimes red) fuming liquid, so named by alchemists because it can dissolve the noble metals gold and platinum, though not all metals.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#6702 2019-04-23 00:26:18

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

While local regulations may vary, aqua regia may be disposed of by careful neutralization, before being poured down the sink. If there is contamination by dissolved metals, the neutralized solution should be collected for disposal.[/hide]

#7209. Name the organization that promotes local food and traditional cooking. It was founded by Carlo Petrini in Italy in 1986 and has since spread worldwide. Promoted as an alternative to fast food, it strives to preserve traditional and regional cuisine and encourages farming of plants, seeds, and livestock characteristic of the local ecosystem.

#7210.  It invented in 1897 by dentist William Morrison and confectioner John C. Wharton, and first introduced to a wide audience at the 1904 World's Fair as "Fairy Floss" with great success, selling 68,655 boxes at 25¢ per box (equivalent to $6 per box today). Joseph Lascaux, a dentist from New Orleans, Louisiana, invented a similar machine in 1921. What is it?

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#6703 2019-04-25 01:18:16

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7211. Name the French writer (24 July 1802 – 5 December 1870). His works have been translated into many languages, and he is one of the most widely read French authors. Many of his historical novels of high adventure were originally published as serials, including 'The Count of Monte Cristo', 'The Three Musketeers', 'Twenty Years After', and 'The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later'. His novels have been adapted since the early twentieth century for nearly 200 films.

#7212. In Norse mythology, it is a burning rainbow bridge that reaches between Midgard (Earth) and Asgard, the realm of the gods. What is it?

#6704 2019-04-27 00:21:57

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7213. The term denotes softening of the bones caused by impaired bone metabolism primarily due to inadequate levels of available phosphate, calcium, and vitamin D, or because of resorption of calcium. The impairment of bone metabolism causes inadequate bone mineralization. It in children is known as rickets, and because of this, use of the term is often restricted to the milder, adult form of the disease. Signs and symptoms can include diffuse body pains, muscle weakness, and fragility of the bones. Name the medical term.

#7214. What is 'Ebola virus disease' (EVD), also known as 'Ebola hemorrhagic fever' (EHF) or simply 'Ebola'?

#6705 2019-04-29 01:11:51

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7215. Name the element which was discovered in 1898 by Marie and Pierre Curie, when it was extracted from the uranium ore pitchblende and identified solely by its strong radioactivity: it was the first element to be so discovered. It was named after Marie Curie's homeland of Poland.

#7216. Name the English mathematician and writer (10 December 1815 – 27 November 1852), chiefly known for her work on Charles Babbage's proposed mechanical general-purpose computer, the Analytical Engine. She was the first to recognise that the machine had applications beyond pure calculation, and published the first algorithm intended to be carried out by such a machine. As a result, she is sometimes regarded as the first to recognise the full potential of a "computing machine" and one of the first computer programmers.

#6706 2019-04-30 17:04:03

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7217. It is headquartered in Azumino, Nagano in Japan, is a manufacturer that makes personal computers and smartphones.It was was originally a brand of Sony, introduced in 1996. Sony sold its PC business to the investment firm Japan Industrial Partners in February 2014 as part of a restructuring effort to focus on mobile devices. Sony maintains a minority stake in the new, independent company, which currently sells computers in the United States, Japan, and Brazil as well as an exclusive marketing agreement. Name the company.

#7218. Name the multinational corporation, founded and headquartered in Herzogenaurach, Germany, that designs and manufactures shoes, clothing and accessories. It is the largest sportswear manufacturer in Europe, and the second largest in the world, after Nike. The logo is three stripes, which is used on the company's clothing and shoe designs as a marketing aid.

#6707 2019-05-01 18:24:13

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7219. Name the term in botany : It is a pore, found in the epidermis of leaves, stems, and other organs, that facilitates gas exchange.

#7220. What is 'Salivary gland'?

#6708 2019-05-03 00:30:20

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7221. What does the abbreviation '.png' signify? (an image file format)

#7222. What does the abbreviation 'https' signify? (It is used for secure communication over a computer network, and is widely used on the Internet. The communication protocol is encrypted using Transport Layer Security (TLS), or, formerly, its predecessor, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). The protocol is therefore also often referred to as HTTP over TLS, or HTTP over SSL.)

#6709 2019-05-05 00:17:14

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7223. What is Interfax or Interfax Ltd.?

#7224. Europa Press (news agency) is in which language?

#6710 2019-05-07 01:07:13

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7225. Name the the primary residence of the Emperor of Japan. It is a large park-like area located in the Chiyoda ward of Tokyo and contains buildings including the main palace, the private residences of the Imperial Family, an archive, museums and administrative offices.

It is built on the site of the old Edo Castle. The total area including the gardens is 1.15 square kilometres (0.44 sq mi). During the height of the 1980s Japanese property bubble, the palace grounds were valued by some to be more than the value of all of the real estate in the state of California.

#7226. Name the village in the municipality of Molenwaard, in the province of South Holland, Netherlands. It is located about 15 km (9 miles) east of Rotterdam.

It is situated in the Alblasserwaard polder at the confluence of the Lek and Noord rivers. To drain the polder, a system of 19 windmills was built around 1740. This group of mills is the largest concentration of old windmills in the Netherlands. The windmills are one of the best-known Dutch tourist sites. They have been a UNESCO World Heritage site since 1997.

#6711 2019-05-09 01:13:38

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7227. In Economics, what is Gini coefficient or sometimes called Gini index, or Gini ratio?

#7228. Which nation assembly with advisory or legislative functions has name 'Duma'?

#6712 2019-05-11 01:40:22

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7229. Name the national flag with the national motto "Ordem e Progresso" ("Order and Progress"), within a yellow rhombus, on a green field.

#7230. Name the constellation located in the southern sky in a bright portion of the Milky Way. It is among the most easily distinguished constellations, as it has four main stars have an apparent visual magnitude brighter than +2.8, even though it is the smallest of all 88 modern constellations. Its name is Latin for cross, and it is dominated by a cross-shaped or kite-like asterism that is commonly known as the Southern Cross.

#6713 2019-05-13 01:23:25

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7231. What is Gravitropism (also known as geotropism)?

#7232. Name the eye disorder where light focuses in front of, instead of on, the retina. This causes distant objects to be blurry while close objects appear normal. Other symptoms may include headaches and eye strain.It is also known as Near-sightedness, also known as short-sightedness

#6714 2019-05-15 03:46:43

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7233. What is fictitious force (also called a pseudo force, d'Alembert force, or inertial force)?

#7234. What is Impulse (physics)?

#6715 2019-05-17 00:32:39

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7235. Name the the British-born inventor of the modern crossword puzzle. ((June 22, 1871 – January 14, 1945).

#7236. Name the Hungarian-British electrical engineer and physicist (5 June 1900 – 9 February 1979), most notable for inventing holography, for which he later received the 1971 Nobel Prize in Physics.

#6716 2019-05-19 01:20:00

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7237. What did Sir John Harrinton and Alexander Cumming (sometimes referred to as Alexander Cummings), among others, invent?

#7238. What is credited independently to the American John W. Hetrick?

#6717 2019-05-21 00:16:07

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7239. What is 'Water gas'?

#7240. What is 'Producer gas'?

#6718 2019-05-23 00:53:59

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7241. What does the abbreviation USSR stand for? (former Nation)

#7242. What do the abbreviations GDR and FRG stand for? (former nations)

#6719 2019-05-25 00:59:15

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7243. Which is the densest planet in the Solar System?

#7244.  Name the smaller and outermost of the two natural satellites of the planet Mars, the other being Phobos. It has a mean radius of 6.2 km (3.9 mi) and takes 30.3 hours to orbit Mars. It is 23,460 km (14,580 mi) from Mars, much further than Mars's other moon, Phobos.

#6720 2019-05-27 00:11:01

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7245. Name the the largest and most massive of the Solar System's moons. The ninth largest object in the Solar System, it is the largest without a substantial atmosphere. It has a diameter of 5,268 km (3,273 mi) and is 8% larger than the planet Mercury, although only 45% as massive.

#7246. Name the  the fastest of all the Solar System's planets, completing a rotation on its axis in slightly less than ten hours; this creates an equatorial bulge easily seen through an Earth-based amateur telescope.

#6721 2019-05-29 00:19:05

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7247. What has the Filename extension .psd?

#7248. What has the Filename extension .tiff, .tif?

#6722 2019-05-31 00:06:38

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7249. What is the atomic number of element Gold?

#7250. What is the atomic number of element Silver?

#6723 2019-06-02 00:33:52

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7251. Name the principle that 'states that an increase in the speed of a fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in pressure or a decrease in the fluid's potential energy.'

#7252. Name the person who was able to determine, through the experiments, that a definitive relationship exists between the quality of the acoustics, the size of the chamber, and the amount of absorption surface present. He formally defined the reverberation time, which is still the most important characteristic currently in use for gauging the acoustical quality of a room, as number of seconds required for the intensity of the sound to drop from the starting level, by an amount of 60 dB (decibels).

#6724 2019-06-04 01:02:43

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7253. What is the electron configuration of copper?

#7254. What is the electron configuration of iron?

#6725 2019-06-06 01:17:03

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7255. What is the molar mass of Calcium Oxide? (grams per mol)

#7256. What is the molar mass of Sulfur Dioxide? (grams per mol).

Board footer