Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-26 06:07:14

Primenumbers

The Meaning Of Life Is In The Dictionary! :)

According to the Cambridge English Dictionary:

Proud means feeling pleasure and satisfaction because you or people connected with you have done or got something good

Satisfaction means a pleasant feeling that you get when you receive something you wanted, or when you have done something you wanted to do

Happy means feeling, showing, or causing pleasure or satisfaction

Enjoy means to get pleasure from something

Let:
P=Proud
S=Satisfaction
L=Pleasure
W=Getting/Doing what you want
H=Happy
E=Enjoy

If P then L and S
If S then W
If L or S then H
Therefore If P then W
Therefore if P then H
Therefore If P then W and H

If E then L
If L then H
Therefore If E then H

So, if you’re proud of yourself you will have got what you wanted and you will be happy. As opposed to if you’re just enjoying yourself you will be happy but it’s not what you want to do.

So, the meaning of life according to the dictionary is to do good things, not necessarily good things like helping people or being a good person, but good things that make you feel proud of yourself, like achieving things or giving up drugs or getting a good job etc. Whatever makes you feel proud of yourself! It will make you happy and it’s what you truly want! It will also make people around you happy too because they’ll be proud of you too. And it’s what they truly want for you.

smile

"Time not important. Only life important." - The Fifth Element 1997

#2 2018-08-27 05:45:23

KerimF

Re: The Meaning Of Life Is In The Dictionary! :)

Interesting study!

It describes, though from one angle only, how the instructions (rather very complex), that are embedded already in the living cells by the Maker, guide each human in playing the role(s) for which he is created.

I said "from one angle" because "doing good things" is a relative matter and depends on the complete nature of which a person is made.
To be clearer, despite the big differences among the persons I have met, no one seems (in private personal conversations) not being proud of himself about what he/she believes and does in general.

And the common point to most of them is following the majority that lives around them. After all, this is typical to all common peoples who live in different regions in the world... in order to be on the safe side smile

#3 2018-08-27 09:03:30

Primenumbers

Yes. I would say it’s culturally biased, just being a normal/good citizen of that society. I don’t think there is an ultimate meaning of life, just personal meanings of life. It’s a question I’ve been most concerned about.

Common themes might include not being on drugs, getting a fairly good job, looking attractive to the opposite gender, having a tidy house, not breaking the law of that country etc. I also think soldiers would be particularly proud of themselves for serving their country, but that’s down to the individual. Contrarily, being an unemployed drug addict, not having good personal hygiene, living in a very messy house and having a criminal record might leave you feeling none too proud of yourself. I don’t think your family would be too proud of you either, but anyone can change!

The revelation to me was that they don’t actually want to live like that, they want to be proud of themselves. I always thought drug addicts etc. don’t want to change sometimes, but if they’re truly honest with themselves they actually do. (According to the dictionary).

Why you get pleasure and satisfaction from doing what makes you proud is another question entirely. Who cares? If you know what you want to do in life the only problem is how you’re going to do it.

"Time not important. Only life important." - The Fifth Element 1997

#4 2018-08-27 13:17:52

KerimF

I agree on what you said because it also describes reality as seen by many people.

But in my case and since my graduation, it was (still is) a shame for me if I have to work by following directions of some others (getting a good job as you said). I had no choice but to start a small business (with a capital of about $100) as a private designer of electronic controllers that the local consumers/market may need in every period of time.

It happens that the process of thinking (to discover new things; scientific and else) gives my body all pleasure it needs. So I, unlike all persons I knew, didn't have a real interest in having sexual pleasure with anyone. Naturally and since I also wasn't interested in being rich (hence not running after money and s_x), my family wasn't proud at all of me smile Even my uncle, a Catholic priest living in Paris, couldn't imagine that it is possible for a person to live without s_x!

For instance, the main reason for which it is out of question for me to have a wife is that marriage needs a third party that represents a certain authority in order to confirming it. In other words, in the conventional marriage, true love and trust come second (at best wink ). After all, true love and trust can exist between two real free/independent persons only who are usually rare in the world wink I personally cannot live and/or work with another if our relation has to be supervised by a law (a formal contract for example).

My first crucial question in my life (when I was teen and which I had to answer) was "What is the end purpose of being forced to exist (me), though temporarily, in this universe?". Only after I discovered the answer I have had a rather stable balanced life with myself and all others; no matter if one's role is to play the friend or enemy.

Board footer