Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-18 04:35:37

Devantè
Real Member

The Less you Know, the More you Make

"Salary Theorem" states that "Engineers and Scientists can never earn as much as Business Executives and Sales People."

This theorem can now be supported by a mathematical equation based on the following two postulates:

1. Knowledge is Power.
2. Time is Money.

As every engineer knows:
Power = Work / Time

Since:
Knowledge = Power
Time = Money

It follows that:
Knowledge = Work/Money.

Solving for Money, we get:
Money = Work / Knowledge.

Thus, as Knowledge approaches zero, Money approaches infinity, regardless of the amount of work done.

Conclusion:
The less you know, the more you make.

#2 2006-08-19 15:36:41

RealEstateBroker

Re: The Less you Know, the More you Make

Wow! That is a good one.

I used to work hard and make little money ("Mucho trabajo, poco dinero!"). Now I work much less and make a decent living. I think I must have figured out the theorem by intuition.

Not only that: I used to make intelligent and thoughtful comments and suggestion, which would generally either be ignored, or treated with derision. Now I am on a couple of board, where half the time I don't know what is going on. The other day, a former president of one of those board told me that he always appreciated me being on the board because I always had a unique perspective on matters which came before us, and he learned a lot from me. And I have heard other comments like that. I can only say that it is a tribute to how much appreciation a person can get for being comatose.

In my business it has often happened that a client asked me a question, and while I was stuporously pondering what to say, the client came up with an answer, and then told me what a incredibly clear-minded broker I am. I guess that is a tribute to the power of keeping your mouth shut.

I wonder if there are any theorems for the power of being comatose and keeping your mouth shut?

Love is what matters most!

#3 2006-08-21 07:04:55

Devantè
Real Member

Re: The Less you Know, the More you Make

Thanks for the comment and information...I'll see if I can come up with some sort of theorem...

Board footer