Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-03 15:45:54

RealEstateBroker

Insurance

When their barn burned down, the old man told his wife: "Don't worry, we had it insured for $50,000."

So the old lady calls the insurance agent, tells him the barn burned down, and asks: "How soon will you send the check for $50,000?"

The insurance agent replies: "Well, that's not exactly how it works. You see, the $50,000 coverage is a maximum.  We are going to have to send out an adjuster to determine what the actual value of the barn was, and then we will compensate you for the actual value of your loss."

There is a silence.

Then, speaking slowly and quietly, the old lady says: "Oh. Is that how insurance works?"

"Yes," says the agent, "We can only pay you for what the insured item was actually worth."

"Well, in that case, I want you to cancel my husbands life insurance!"

Love is what matters most!

#2 2006-08-03 17:26:32

Ricky

Re: Insurance

It would cost me thousands of dollars to get a new kidney.  I must be worth millions!

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2006-08-04 11:01:59

RealEstateBroker

I am not sure if Ricky is referral to an a actual, personal sitution, but if my joke was tasteless and hurt anyone, I definitely apologe.

My estimation is that it cost about a quarter of a million dollars to save my life two+ years ago, and I am very grateful. I guess it was stoopid to post a joke implying that some people's lives are not worth very much. Every life is priceless, and the value of a life has nothing to do with money.

Love is what matters most!

#4 2006-08-04 11:29:22

mikau

lol! I don't think the joke implied that life was worthless, only that the lady thought her husband was.  Good joke!

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#5 2006-08-04 12:13:01

Ricky

Agreeing with mikau.  I hold that in every situation in life, one can find humor.  Some find it offensive to do so in some situations.  I generally don't.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#6 2006-08-04 17:18:41

MathsIsFun
Administrator

It was funny! It is a long standing tradition in the husband/wife area, for example "I just got a refrigerator for my wife ... best deal I ever made"

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

Board footer