Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-02 23:17:10

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Airline Chatter

Tower: "Delta 351, you have traffic at 10 o'clock, 6 miles!"
Delta 351: "Give us another hint! We have digital watches!"

"TWA 2341, for noise abatement turn right 45 Degrees."
"Centre, we are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here?"
"Sir, have you ever heard the noise a 747 makes when it hits a 737?"

O'Hare Approach Control to a 747:
"United 329 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o'clock, three miles, Eastbound."
United 329: "Approach, I've always wanted to say this...I've got the little Fokker in sight."

A student became lost during a solo cross-country flight.
While attempting to locate the aircraft on radar, ATC asked, "What was your last known position?"
Student: "When I was number one for take-off."

A DC-10 had come in a little hot and thus had an exceedingly long roll out after touching down.
San Jose Tower Noted: "American 751, make a hard right turn at the end of the runway, if you are able. If you are not able, take the Guadeloupe exit off Highway 101, make a right at the lights and return to the airport."

There's a story about the military pilot calling for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running "a bit peaked."
Air Traffic Control told the fighter jock that he was number two, behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down.
"Ah," the fighter pilot remarked, "The dreaded seven-engine approach."

Taxiing down the tarmac, a DC-10 abruptly stopped, turned around and returned to the gate. After an hour-long wait, it finally took off.
A concerned passenger asked the flight attendant, "What, exactly, was the problem?"
"The pilot was bothered by a noise he heard in the engine," explained the flight attendant. "It took us a while to find a new pilot."

A Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich overheard the following:
Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in Germany. Why must I speak English?"
Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British accent): "Because you lost the war."

Tower: "Eastern 702, cleared for take-off, contact Departure on frequency 124.7"
Eastern 702: "Tower, Eastern 702 switching to Departure. By the way, after we lifted off we saw some kind of dead animal on the far end of the runway."
Tower: "Continental 635, cleared for take-off behind Eastern 702, contact Departure on frequency 124.7. Did you copy that report from Eastern 702?"
Continental 635: "Continental 635, cleared for take-off, roger; and yes, we copied Eastern... We've already notified our caterers."

One day the pilot of a Cherokee 180 was told by the tower to hold short of the active runway while a DC-8 landed. The DC-8 landed, rolled out, turned around, and taxied back past the Cherokee.
Some quick-witted comedian in the DC-8 crew got on the radio and said, "What a cute little plane. Did you make it all by yourself?"
The Cherokee pilot, not about to let the insult go by, came back with a real zinger: "I made it out of DC-8 parts. Another landing like yours and I'll have enough parts for another one."

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2006-07-07 10:22:49

Patrick
Real Member

Re: Airline Chatter

Good ones big_smile

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#3 2006-07-09 06:15:13

Prakash Panneer

Nice one :-)

Letter, number, arts and science
of living kinds, both are the eyes.

#4 2006-07-09 19:34:45

que

thank you for the great jokes,  easy to relate to! LOL.  may i ask? is the dog a belgium terverian shepard?? just wondering.  aloha! and thanks again for the smiles!

#5 2006-07-09 23:19:45

MathsIsFun
Administrator

que! You must know something about dogs, because you are perfectly correct!

And from only the face. How?

In fact he is a fine, caring and intelligent dog. Gives me his water bowl if it runs out. Brings me his plate when he is hungry. Runs around with my shoes if he wants a walk. Barks at strangers until I shake hands, then good friends. Loves a pat.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2006-07-10 08:53:49

Patrick
Real Member

Sounds like you :]

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#7 2006-07-10 14:12:43

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Yeah, most people think it is the dog barking when it is really me big_smile

#8 2006-07-10 14:17:33

mikau

MathsIsFun wrote:

In fact he is a fine, caring and intelligent dog. Gives me his water bowl if it runs out. Brings me his plate when he is hungry. Runs around with my shoes if he wants a walk. Barks at strangers until I shake hands, then good friends. Loves a pat.

But can he integrate e^(x^2) dx? Then I'll be impressed!

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#9 2006-07-13 22:38:56

Ninja 101

Mathsisfun, are you a warewolf? because you said you bark.
oh wait. warewolves howl.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being saught. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.

Board footer