Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-02 09:02:33

Roraborealis

Tommy and Maths

Little Tommy was doing very badly in maths. His parents had tried everything; tutors, flash cards, special learning centers, in short, everything they could think of. Finally in a last ditch effort, they took Tommy down and enrolled him in the local Catholic School.

After the first day, little Tommy came home with a very serious look on his face. He didn't kiss his mother hello. Instead, he went straight to his room and started studying. Books and papers were spread out all over the room and little Tommy was hard at work. His mother was amazed. She called him down to dinner and to her shock, the minute he was done he marched back to his room without a word and in no time he was back hitting the books as hard as before.

This went on for some time - day after day his mother tried to understand what made all the difference. Finally, little Tommy brung home his report card. He quietly laid it on the table and went up to his room and went back to the books.

With great trepidation, his Mother looked at it and to her surprise: little Tommy got an A in maths. She could no longer hold her curiosity. She went to his room and said: "Son, what was it? Was it the nuns?" Little Tommy looked at her and shook his head. "Well then," she replied, "was it the books, the discipline, the structure, the uniforms, WHAT was it?"

Little Tommy looked at her and said, "Well, on the first day of school, when I saw that guy nailed to the plus sign, I knew they weren't fooling around."

School is practice for the future. Practice makes perfect. But - nobody's perfect, so why practice?

#2 2005-08-02 09:47:34

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Tommy and Maths

Brilliant!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2005-08-03 19:00:03

justlookingforthemoment

I've got some more (but they're not as good as yours Rora)

A boy (let's call him Tommy)...Tommy came back home from school one day and showed his mother his test. There was a big round zero at the top. His mother asked him, 'Tommy, what's this?' and he replied, 'Everyone got stars on their tests and the teacher ran out so I got a moon!'

Why is a car like a classroom?
Because there's a crank up the front and nuts down the back.

Teacher: Why are you writing your letter so slowly?
Tommy: Because it's too my sister and she can't read fast.

Tommy opened the front door and saw his principal standing there. 'Are your parents in?' she asked. 'No, they was in, but they is out now,' he replied. 'Where is your grammar?' the principal asked. 'She's in the front room watching telly,' he replied.

#4 2015-05-23 12:10:52

math9maniac

These are beautiful. Wow! Get me laughing the whole day. Bring some more.

Only a friend tells you your face is dirty.

#5 2015-05-23 13:20:57

David

I'm afraid the posters are long gone.

His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed.

#6 2015-05-23 13:24:24

bobbym
bumpkin

Yes, that is a real oldie.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#7 2015-05-23 14:47:20

David

10 YEARS! wow! It's before you are even here on the forums!

His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed.

#8 2015-05-23 15:14:03

bobbym
bumpkin

I came in 2009. That was a long time ago.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer