Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#401 2014-04-27 21:00:47

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,130
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

You have a fanclub.
Why is Zhy a bad guy?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Online

#402 2014-04-27 21:02:37

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 89,031

Re: Interesting Conversation

I did not say he is a bad guy, I am saying he does not know me.

Fanclubs are for famous people, I am not famous.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Offline

#403 2014-04-27 21:03:27

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,130
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

You are the best combinatoricist of Vegas.


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Online

#404 2014-04-27 21:09:37

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 89,031

Re: Interesting Conversation

Oh my Lord, that is kaboobly doo.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Offline

#405 2014-11-14 23:49:19

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,130
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

Agnishom wrote:

Problem 23.4 ta dekh.
--
Translation: Look at Problem 23.4

Ru wrote:

Amar work, power and energy ekdom hoyni.
--
Translation: I have not yet done the work power energy [chapter]

Agnishom wrote:

eta work power energy mone hochchhe? Chapter er nam ta dekh.
--
Translation: you think this is  from your [Kaboobly Doo] Work, power and energy? Have a look at the chapter's name.

Ru wrote:

Special ...?

Agnishom wrote:

Relativity.

Agnishom wrote:

Work, power and energy amaro hoyni.
---
Translation: I have not completed the work, power energy chapter either.

Alokananda wrote:

Special Relativity hoyechhe?
---
Translation: completed Special Relativity?

Agnishom wrote:

ei ektu ektu
--
Translation: A little

Agnishom wrote:

janis Aloka, ami bobbym ke kal jiggesh korechhilam je picnic e ki kora uchit. O bolechhilo, 'ar jai koro Relativity niye alochona koro na.'
---
Translation: @Alokananda: you know, I asked bobbym yesterday on what people do on a picnic. He told me, 'Do whatever but do not discuss relativity.'

Alokananda wrote:

bobbym thikei bolechhilo!
---
Translation: bobbym was right!


--After sometime--


Alokananda wrote:

Toke toh bobbym jiggesh korbe je ki korli picnic e.
---
Translation: bobbym will ask you what you did at the picnic.

Agnishom wrote:

tah korbe
--
Translation: He will.

Alokananda wrote:

tui ki bolbi?
---
Translation: What'd you say?


<Answer skipped to avoid infinite recursion>


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Online

#406 2014-11-15 00:02:54

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 89,031

Re: Interesting Conversation

You were wise not to talk about that kaboobly doo.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Offline

#407 2014-11-15 00:08:57

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,130
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

I asked the two math teachers about whether there is a function with uncountable maximas.


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Online

#408 2014-11-15 00:13:10

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 89,031

Re: Interesting Conversation

Have you looked at some wild ones?


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Offline

#409 2014-11-15 00:15:05

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,130
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

Wild math teachers? Yes, they were dancing with the loud music today.

Does that make them wild?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Online

#410 2014-11-15 00:17:35

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 89,031

Re: Interesting Conversation

No, it just means they will suffer from back spasms when they get older.

I was talking about wild , pathological functions.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Offline

#411 2014-11-15 00:18:51

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,130
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

I tried that but stefy does not like it.

The person below is wild.


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Online

#412 2014-11-15 00:23:28

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 89,031

Re: Interesting Conversation

You are in the wrong thread.

Plot[Sin[1/x], {x, 0, 1}]


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Offline

#413 2014-11-15 00:27:45

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,130
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

I saw that function just  yesterday


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Online

#414 2014-11-15 00:28:58

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 89,031

Re: Interesting Conversation

Its cousin turned up a lot when I was working on my integral.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Offline

#415 2014-11-15 00:40:50

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,130
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

What integral?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Online

#416 2014-11-15 00:51:52

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 89,031

Re: Interesting Conversation


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Offline

#417 2014-11-15 00:52:42

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,130
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

You told me the commands to do it but I did not get all of it.


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Online

#418 2014-11-15 00:54:30

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 89,031

Re: Interesting Conversation

m will have much trouble with this baby.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Offline

#419 2014-11-15 01:01:35

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,130
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

Since when did you start calling integrals babies?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Online

#420 2014-11-15 01:04:08

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 89,031

Re: Interesting Conversation

It is a slang term here and has dozens of meanings. For some reason when guys call a girl, "baby" it implies she is voluptuous, well endowed, a handful, a lot of woman, DDG etc...

So using it on this integral means it is a handful...


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Offline

#421 2014-11-15 01:06:25

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,130
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

Definition

Handful: few


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Online

#422 2014-11-15 01:08:59

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 89,031

Re: Interesting Conversation

That too has many meanings. Sometimes it means a little as in a handful of money.

Sometimes it means too much.

Handful: :  as much as one can manage <the kids are quite a handful>

For this integral it means too much.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Offline

#423 2014-11-15 01:14:32

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,130
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

On which of the following conversations should I be using the word handful:

a. A conversation with a shopkeeper
b. with Calvin
c. with Amrita
d. a japaneese person who I've never spoken to before


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Online

#424 2014-11-15 01:17:47

bobbym
Administrator
From: Bumpkinland
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 89,031

Re: Interesting Conversation

All of the above. English is not Python. Words have many meanings.


In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Offline

#425 2014-11-15 01:59:47

Agnishom
Real Member
From: The Complex Plane
Registered: 2011-01-29
Posts: 18,130
Website

Re: Interesting Conversation

How can a Bumpkin speak such a convoluted language?


'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB