Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-28 09:15:05

karategirl1925

click me! click me!

Heyy ~ I'm Tina
I'm learning stuff at about GCSE - A level standard, and I'm currently working on trying to add/subtract numbers faster mentally and the binomial theorem as well as factorisation problems, freakishly hard, etc.  yeah, so if anyone has any suggestions or tips on simplifying square rooted numbers inside of square rooted numbers and factorising square roots, I'd be happy to know -- I'm in year 8 (I know, I know) and I'm going to take the IMC from the UKMT challenges next year so if anyone has any tips on that then great.
Good byeh ~

If you're looking for a friend then I am a good friend.  smile Read this, let's be friends together!  I don't mind how good or bad at math you are!!!! roflol

Mathopolis username: Karategirl2012
top ten in four different competitions!  XD

#2 2013-11-28 14:24:14

bobbym
Administrator

Re: click me! click me!

Hi karategirl1925;

Welcome to the forum.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#3 2013-11-28 19:54:49

bob bundy

hi Tina,

Welcome to the forum.  smile

so if anyone has any suggestions or tips on simplifying square rooted numbers inside of square rooted numbers and factorising square roots,

I'm not quite sure what you're after here.  Would you give us some examples please?

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#4 2013-11-29 05:15:33

karategirl1925

Hi Bob ~ smile
So what I mean is a bit hard to express because we can't show stuff like square roots..(or can we?)
e.g. √17+12√2 is one I've been trying to simplify, and the seventeen plus twelve square rooted two is all inside one massive square root, not seventeen squared etc.
help?
thanks kiss

Mathopolis username: Karategirl2012
top ten in four different competitions!  XD

#5 2013-11-29 05:33:23

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

This is the problem?

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#6 2013-11-29 15:53:07

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi Tina

Welcome to the forum! smile

Hi bobbym

I'd say this is:

Last edited by anonimnystefy (2013-11-29 16:42:45)

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#7 2013-11-29 16:27:16

bobbym
Administrator

Have you figured what numbers always make this simplification possible?

#8 2013-11-29 16:44:22

anonimnystefy
Real Member

No, but I remember the formula:

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#9 2013-11-29 21:22:04

bob bundy

hi Tina,

Sometimes these can be simplified and sometimes not.

You could try setting your expression equal to a + √b and then squaring to see what results.

To make mathematical expressions on the forum you need to use a code called Latex.

eg

[math]\sqrt{\sqrt{17}+12 \sqrt{2}}[/math]

These links will be useful:

http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=4397

http://latex.codecogs.com/editor.php

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

Board footer