Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#26 2013-11-16 14:08:16

Agnishom
Real Member
Award: Wink Sherlock

Re: Lisp

Which is a preffered lisp compiler on Linux?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'Who are you to judge everything?' -Alokananda

#27 2013-11-17 01:15:11

ShivamS

Agnishom, which dialect are you talking about?

I have discovered a truly marvellous signature, which this margin is too narrow to contain. -Fermat
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. -Archimedes
Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them. - Neumann

#28 2013-11-17 01:23:55

Agnishom
Real Member

I do not know much. I installed the package clisp which possibly stands for common lisp

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#29 2013-11-17 01:26:54

ShivamS

Well, CLISP has all you need.

I have discovered a truly marvellous signature, which this margin is too narrow to contain. -Fermat
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. -Archimedes
Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them. - Neumann

#30 2013-11-17 11:05:51

anonimnystefy
Real Member

CLISP and Clojure are the most commonly used ones.

Also, I think Lisp can be accessed through Maxima.

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#31 2013-11-17 12:08:35

bobbym
Administrator

Yes, you can use lisp through maxima.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#32 2013-11-17 12:08:55

Agnishom
Real Member

Then, there is scheme too

#33 2013-11-17 12:27:04

ShivamS

There are about 20 dialects that I know of. Though common and scheme are the most popular.

#34 2013-11-17 12:34:22

Agnishom
Real Member

Prolog?

#35 2013-11-17 21:17:47

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Prolog is not a dialect of Lisp.

“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#36 2013-11-18 02:09:42

bobbym
Administrator

I have heard that it is difficult to master.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#37 2013-11-18 03:01:43

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Lisp or Prolog?

#38 2013-11-18 04:43:57

ShivamS

Logic programming is pretty tough.

#39 2013-11-18 05:30:16

anonimnystefy
Real Member

We're learning it in school this year.

#40 2013-11-18 06:10:59

bobbym
Administrator

Did they teach it first?

#41 2013-11-18 06:23:42

anonimnystefy
Real Member

No. We are first going over first and second order logic.

#42 2013-11-18 06:53:29

bobbym
Administrator

I mean as your first language?

#43 2013-11-18 07:10:40

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Unfortunately, no. It is among the two last that they teach, next to SQL. We begin with Pascal, then C++, ASM and then these two.

#44 2013-11-18 07:22:47

bobbym
Administrator

Yep, definitely the wrong order!

#45 2013-11-18 07:51:55

anonimnystefy
Real Member

It should be something like Prolog, Pascal, ASM, C++, SQL.

#46 2013-11-18 12:32:18

bobbym
Administrator

Nope, it should be M first and nobody second.

#47 2013-11-18 12:50:18

Agnishom
Real Member

anonimnystefy wrote:

We're learning it in school this year.

What use is prolog?

#48 2013-11-18 13:42:59

ShivamS

What use is C++? Why not language x? The attractive-ness depends on the programmer. I, for one, have a love for OCaml which is, I must say, an extraordinary language.

#49 2013-11-18 13:54:04

bobbym
Administrator

C++ is very fast and supports all the feature that make the purists very happy.

#50 2013-11-18 23:50:12

Agnishom
Real Member

ShivamS wrote:

What use is C++? Why not language x? The attractive-ness depends on the programmer. I, for one, have a love for OCaml which is, I must say, an extraordinary language.

Still, can you describe a real-life situation when you will want to use Prolog?

Board footer