Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ π -

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#76 2013-04-09 02:36:41

bobbym
Administrator

Re: CAS suggestions

How greedy can they get, that they are selling a book that is in the public domain.

Try here and get it free:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33283

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#77 2013-04-09 02:49:48

ShivamS

It is available in many libraries.

I have discovered a truly marvellous signature, which this margin is too narrow to contain. -Fermat
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. -Archimedes
Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them. - Neumann

#78 2013-04-09 02:59:36

Agnishom
Real Member
Award: Wink Sherlock

bobbym wrote:

How greedy can they get, that they are selling a book that is in the public domain.

Try here and get it free:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33283

They are not, you have the full book on the website
E.g.,  I am reading http://calculusmadeeasy.info/4.html

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'Who are you to judge everything?' -Alokananda

#79 2013-04-09 03:02:21

ShivamS

There however there is an issue with formatting or expressions.

I have discovered a truly marvellous signature, which this margin is too narrow to contain. -Fermat
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. -Archimedes
Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them. - Neumann

#80 2013-04-09 03:04:25

Agnishom
Real Member

For me it renders nicely

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#81 2013-04-09 03:06:29

ShivamS

Anyways, it is a great book which requires special attention and popularity. It is what taught me calculus the first time 3 years ago.

#82 2013-04-09 03:10:52

bobbym
Administrator

Hi Agnishom;

I was referring to Amazon, who is selling the book.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#83 2013-04-09 03:24:30

ShivamS

They should give the book for no cost to every household. That way everyone has access to this invaluable teaching resource.

#84 2013-04-09 03:24:31

ShivamS

They should give the book for no cost to every household. That way everyone has access to this invaluable teaching resource.

#85 2013-04-09 03:25:27

Agnishom
Real Member

O! But thats a paper version they are selling

#86 2013-04-09 03:27:36

bobbym
Administrator

Yes, it might be a good idea to download the book. Takes only a couple of minutes even with a modem. That way you can read it when you are offline.

#87 2013-04-09 03:36:18

ShivamS

I have an ereader but scarcely use it. I prefer books (any print material) but I do sometimes read electronically.

Board footer