Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#51 2013-04-06 06:48:57

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Mathematics jokes

Hold on, remember some odd numbers are not the sum of two primes. Take 17 for instance it needs 3 primes.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#52 2013-04-06 14:27:53

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Don't Worry, I am using an even number

P.S.:
Last night I spent 4 hours to do it with the nested loops method. All efforts were in vain.
Today I realised my fault when I woke up and did the following just now and it worked within a split second smile:

1. I imported that table and sorted in a descending order.
2. For each prime a in the table, I calculated the other number b = (My phone number - a)
3. I did the Miller Rabin Test, and if that returned True then I carried b over to the real prime test.
4. If 3 returned true, I simply print a and b

Odd numbers are not special, because they will have too many solutions

Last edited by Agnishom (2013-04-06 15:07:05)

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

#53 2013-04-06 19:45:27

bobbym
Administrator

What I was driving at is that since your telephone number is even, in an effort to verify the Goldbach conjecture, they have already tested all numbers up to 10^18. They all were the sum of 2 primes.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#54 2013-04-06 20:12:48

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Actually my phone number isn't even, I did someone else's number

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

#55 2013-04-06 20:14:18

bobbym
Administrator

Then for an odd number it is the sum of 3 or more primes or 2 + a prime.

#56 2013-04-06 20:16:44

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Yes we first choose any odd prime less than the number and then apply goldbach partitioning on the rest

#57 2013-04-07 01:02:36

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

So, it seems that I have not yet found anything good about my phone number

#58 2013-04-07 01:08:41

bobbym
Administrator

You mean anything special?

#59 2013-04-07 01:17:23

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Ya

#60 2013-04-07 01:22:29

bobbym
Administrator

Depends on what you mean by special. Not being special means it is.

#61 2013-04-07 01:47:19

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I could prove that neither

#62 2013-04-07 01:53:57

bobbym
Administrator

Prove? Math proves mathematical assertions, philosophy proves nothing and I understand nothing.

#63 2013-04-07 02:25:52

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Are we really being that philosophic?

#64 2013-04-07 02:31:40

bobbym
Administrator

This is a joke thread so ambiguous comments are welcomed!?

Now this is just modern mythology but do you know that there are billions of creatures that think human reasoning is a joke?

#65 2013-04-07 02:34:40

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Do you want to be one of them?

#66 2013-04-07 02:39:52

bobbym
Administrator

People from your country have known for thousands of years the correct definition of the word ego. Here we use vanity, pride, conceit etc but they do not really describe it as well.

I was different, I suffered because of that. So, part of me, the ego, rejoiced in that and part of me did not.

#67 2013-04-07 02:46:28

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

bobbym wrote:

People from your country have known for thousands of years the correct definition of the word ego. Here we use vanity, pride, conceit etc but they do not really describe it as well.

I was different, I suffered because of that. So, part of me, the ego, rejoiced in that and part of me did not.

I really have no idea, what you're talking of?

#68 2013-04-07 02:50:54

bobbym
Administrator

Perhaps I misunderstood your question.

Do you want to be one of them?

One of them what?

#69 2013-04-07 02:55:57

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

One of those creatures which think human reasoning is a joke

#70 2013-04-07 02:58:27

bobbym
Administrator

[comment removed by moderation]

#71 2013-04-07 03:26:42

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Even before I saw the comment?

#72 2013-04-07 03:31:26

bobbym
Administrator

Yep, the censor got it.

#73 2013-04-07 03:45:53

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

So those bracket words are not yours? The system removed it?

Maybe you can repost that using leet

#74 2013-04-07 03:54:15

bobbym
Administrator

I can repost it:

But that would be an attempt to defeat the administrator.

#75 2013-04-07 03:57:19

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

That was just the same statement the other way round

Board footer