Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-03 09:11:06

survival

Hello

I am a female, who is mathematically challenged.
I know the calculator can do what i am working on; it's just trying to find the symbols. I didn't know if this site was active or not. Glad to be here.

Last edited by survival (2011-05-07 20:49:17)

#2 2011-04-03 12:33:13

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Hello

Hi survival;

Welcome to the forum.

I am not knowledgeable on the TI - 84, I used to use a TI -85 and a TI - 92 but that was a long time ago. Perhaps someone else here is an expert on that calculator.

Post the questions you have in the help me section and I will answer them as best as I can. Believe me you can do statistics without a TI - 84!

I am a female in NC who has a math phobia. I kid you not.

You are not alone. Lots of people have that feeling too. I do not know about schools in other countries but I know about schools here.

As me pappy always used to say, "junior pass the chicken." That does not seem to fit, he also used to say, "junior there is no such word as can't."

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-04-03 18:40:41

survival

Thanks for the welcome.
It is Monday again and I just closed the book. Oh and I was looking forward to selling my math books, but got caught in a downpour last week two days. The pages are all messed up, brand new books. So i am stuck with them after I am out of school.

Last edited by survival (2011-05-07 20:42:51)

#4 2011-04-03 19:10:26

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Oh and I was looking forward to selling my math books,

Now, why on earth would you want to do that?

#5 2011-04-03 19:18:22

survival

Because I have too many college books. Math is  mental labor. I have to sleep. Tomorrow is classes all the way till dark. Have a great week.

Last edited by survival (2011-05-07 20:44:39)

#6 2011-04-03 19:24:13

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Good luck!

#7 2011-04-03 21:37:39

MathsIsFun
Administrator

On the positive side: all this mental work is good for your mind. Your whole life will benefit.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#8 2011-04-04 04:40:48

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi all;

I didn't know if this site was active or not.

What!!!!??? How could you have missed my activity here or anywhere else for that matter? The bobbym's will soon rule the internet. They will have hundreds of millions of posts. Almost half of those posts will be correct answers. That is pretty good.

Because I have too many college books, and I am not particularly wanting to hold onto math ones.

Here is what you do. Buy a big bookcase and put them all in there. Now all your future dates will know your are brainy, a tremendous enticement.

so I feel like I am doing time on the math floor. Hard mental labor,

You are working too hard. Just black out when doing math. Let the answers just float into your head. Listen to the chorus of math. Soon it will sound like a giant symphony. No, like 10 symphonies, all playing at once. This is what I do, I call it "Transcendental math." Remember almost half right? So it works pretty good for me.

#9 2011-04-04 16:36:54

survival

I typed out a long response but it disappeared.
Thanks for the welcome.

Last edited by survival (2011-05-07 20:45:43)

#10 2011-04-04 16:56:44

bobbym
bumpkin

I typed out a long response but it disappeared.

You mean the post box was too small to contain it?

The mean is just the average. Add them all up and divide by how many of them there are.

Sort the list first. When the list of values is an odd number in length then the median is the middle value. When the length of the list is even then the median is the average of the two numbers in the middle.

The standard deviation has a couple of formulas. There is a population sd and a sample sd. Which one are you using?

Oh, one more thing, do yourself a favor and post questions in the Help me thread. This is for introductions, so mostly you are just going to get a hello here.

#11 2011-04-05 00:13:23

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi survival,

Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#12 2011-04-05 10:37:42

survival

Thanks, I am trying to figure the board out. smile

#13 2011-04-12 06:22:49

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi albertjooger;

Welcome to the forum!

#14 2011-05-07 01:35:57

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

So keep doing posts and solve ours problems.

Yes, posting, posting and more posting. The first to reach 10^7 digit post totals, that is my goal.

William Blake wrote:

Less than all will not satisfy man.

Better make that 10^8.

#15 2011-05-07 02:47:21

gAr

Hi Ba11le,

Welcome to the forum!

Carl Friedrich Gauss wrote:

pauca sed matura

smile

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"  - Buddha?

"Data! Data! Data!" he cried impatiently. "I can't make bricks without clay."

#16 2011-05-07 20:47:28

survival

Welcome Ba11le.

#17 2011-08-13 22:38:28

survival

Hello again. I am a repeat, not new member. It is after 6:30 am on the East Coast and i am just now thinking of going to sleep. I am also in a talkative mood, and lost the random chatter thing. I searched and did not find it.

Have a nice Sunday to everyone.
Carpe diem, peace, make love not war, and all that jazz.

#18 2011-08-13 22:52:46

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi survival;

How are you and where have you been?

#19 2011-08-14 21:49:19

survival

Hi bobbym, I am okay I guess. Getting ready for school. NC had a tax free weekend (last) as they usually do, before fall semester/any school, starts in Aug. I didn't know I'd need a printer, so much for saving money.
Next week is my last free week to be lazy, but it will be mostly making sure i have not omitted anything. I'm also on two wait listed classes. If i get them, i can drop two of the four i already have.
It is a different university and it's large enough to look intimidating. I am not a nervous person, but I am feeling something.

I gave up on the dating thing. I don't know if i told you, but there is one older man/young kinda, who has pursued me since my last relatiionship ended three years ago. I had one date with him, no sparks at dinner, on my part. I got out of there as quick as possible.
He's hounded me with texts, offlines since that one harmless "out in the open" dinner date. He says it was love at first sight.
This brings me back to the printer i need. He says he has a nearly new one i can have. I am to meet him tomorrow in a public setting. My son says that it is just encouraging a possible stalker, since I have no inclination to be anything to him. I don't want to hurt his feelings, but my life is more important than that.

So, it's back to class for me, and I have to learn a new university, although no one really knows it, when it's so big and covered with teenie boppers. My classes, are unfortunately early. I have never had a class earlier than 11 am. ever. I will be drifting in the traffic, so I may need to get a temporary place closer to campus.

Be as it may, I will check back in. You are not online but i see others you talk to here. It's 5:42 am in the morning on the East Coast.

#20 2011-08-14 23:01:42

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Yes, I was dozing. I think the printer idea is a bad one. Your son is right! Soon you will be doing some math and that will make it all better.

but there is one older man/young

So he is both older and younger? That is a good trick. You have a choice now. Is he older on the weekdays and younger on the weekends? Or is it odd and even days? He sounds like a lustrous hair puller.

You are not online but i see others you talk to here.

Checking up on me are you? Hmmmm.

Board footer