Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-15 07:45:51

psuedonymous

How to make 1 = 0 mathematically?

Hi,

I chanced upon your rather wonderful forum just now having googled "maths puzzles." I have a feeling I'll be spending quite a lot of this evening navigating various threads, out of a past sense of mathematical nostalgia!

For the longest time now - albeit without making any attempt at using the web to find out - I've tried to recall a childhood maths lesson where my maths teacher demonstrated a mathematical proof for showing how 1 = 0. Obviously there was some trickery involved, but I still recall it being kinda neat, and would love to remember what the "proof" was.

So, I was hoping one of you maths afficianados might help me out of my misery by reminding me what I seem to recall was quite a simple, few-steps proof. Unfortunately I'm not as adept at maths these days as back then, so to my utter dismay I'm unable to recall.

Many thanks in advance,

- pseudonymous

#2 2008-08-15 09:01:32

careless25
Real Member

Re: How to make 1 = 0 mathematically?

try searching google for "1=2", that is the 'proof' u r looking for. Your teacher just tweaked it a bit to make it 1=0.up
even better search 1=0 if u want the exact one ur teacher wrote.

Last edited by careless25 (2008-08-15 09:03:37)

#3 2008-08-15 09:05:20

careless25
Real Member

#4 2008-08-15 10:00:54

pseudonymous

careless25,

Thank you so much! You're quite right, it was the 1=2 example indeed!

After your suggestion of googling, I realise how simple it would have been for me to do that too, so now I feel lazy and am wondering what's worse: the nagging feeling of stupidity for not thinking to google the question, or the embarassment of knowing how immediately I could have found the answer! Lol, thanks for that...

Permit me ask a question, if you would.

I used to study maths, and calculus was a core focus. But I found that the more abstract the maths got - i.e. removed from actual numbers, using letters as representing numbers (i.e. x & y), with increasingly involved formulations and notation, more complex calculations - the harder I coped.

Consequently I often wondered if I was just thick, or the teacher wasn't breaking things down well enough. Over the years I've come to believe that often it is not that students are incapable, rather sometimes it is that teachers don't articulate/teach concepts well enough. Sure, people have their individual intellectual limitations, cognitive ability and propensity to learn, and perhaps even predispositions towards certain subjects over others. Notwithstanding this, I still maintain that assuming a reasonable degree of intelligence, if something is explained well enough, I should be able to "get it." What do others think?

Ironically, these days I even get confused over simple things like percentages!

I find that maths is one of those subjects I like, but it has a frustrating tendency of making me feel stupid sometimes when I don't get stuff. Its probably my ego talking, lol.

- pseudonymous

#5 2008-08-15 10:09:20

careless25
Real Member

pseudonymous wrote:

Over the years I've come to believe that often it is not that students are incapable, rather sometimes it is that teachers don't articulate/teach concepts well enough.

I do agree with that and i have noticed that most math teachers arent that geat at english and this may cause students to misinterpret or just totaly blank out.

pseudonymous wrote:

these days I even get confused over simple things like percentages!

Percentages!!!swear!!
I always do and i plan to improve that as i m goin thro high school.

#6 2008-08-19 02:24:30

LQ
Real Member

Solve the problem:
1 = 0
Integrate both sides:
x = C
when the sum of ones = C it will work.
C must be 0
When the sum of ones is zero, it work:
1*0 = 0. Pronounced; "The 1 has NO Soul!"

Last edited by LQ (2008-08-19 02:27:20)

I see clearly now, the universe have the black dots, Thus I am on my way of inventing this remedy...

#7 2009-09-08 04:04:42

Calvin

This is an old method of proving 2=1 (has got one mistake in it- you should be able to find it)
let a = b
a^2=b^2
a^2 -ab = b^2 - ab
a^2-ab = b(a-b)
since a = b
a^2-b^2=b(a-b)
(a+b)(a-b)=b(a-b)
a+b=b
substituting a=b
2b=b
2=1
Rest you can do on your own:D
cheers

#8 2009-09-08 04:42:42

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Calvin;

This one is well known but:

(a+b)(a-b)=b(a-b)
a+b=b

Right there, division by (a-b),  and a - b = 0

Last edited by bobbym (2009-09-08 04:43:37)

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#9 2009-11-02 06:11:03

Sarah12

Sounds Nice.

Board footer