Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-27 01:02:08

JaneFairfax

"Have I Got News For You"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kP7M82EtY

Last edited by JaneFairfax (2009-09-27 01:03:38)

#2 2009-09-27 03:23:22

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: "Have I Got News For You"

Hi Jane;

That's why I am crazy about ya. I knew it wasn't over! Whoopee, let's go!

Americans get called arrogant, but did you get a look at the humility being displayed by that panel? You should see how tourists from other countries behave when they come to Vegas. Loud, boisterous, drunk, vulgur, ignorant, dirty, mean, arrogant, pugnacious, puking, stealing, cheating, lying, greedy, coarse, brutish, aggressive, rude , imbecilic and unfriendly. And that is before they even get off the plane.

Last edited by bobbym (2009-09-27 03:25:26)

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2009-09-27 04:15:59

JaneFairfax

Yes, but would you agree that the clip itself is hilarious? lol

In any case

DISCLAIMER wrote:

This clip is meant as humour. No offence to any person or group is intended.

“Have I Got News For You” is meant to be a funny comedy show. Lighten up, dude!

#4 2009-09-27 04:18:27

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Jane;

That is me being funny.

Interesting question. If someone uses a disclaimer can they now act like a jerk?

Last edited by bobbym (2009-09-27 04:26:52)

#5 2009-09-27 04:33:22

JaneFairfax

bobbym wrote:

If someone uses a disclaimer can they now act like a jerk?

Perhaps, but I don’t see how the video is being a jerk. You should watch HIGNFY – there are loads more scenes like the one in the video, all intended to be funny rather than offensive. Besides, it’s been running for almost 20 years now – surely something that long-runnning can’t possibly be “jerk”.

Last edited by JaneFairfax (2009-09-27 04:36:08)

#6 2009-09-27 04:39:09

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Jane;

I think you already know that I am not offended, I am being playful. I know I haven't used a disclaimer but in my case it is implied. But my opinion about that panel as stated in post #2 still holds.

#7 2009-09-27 05:13:03

JaneFairfax

I agree with what you say in post #2. Well, nobody’s perfect. I suppose an American comedy show could similarly make a humorous sketch on the rudeness of, say, British tourists in America, and then everybody can have a good laugh too. smile

Last edited by JaneFairfax (2009-09-27 05:13:12)

#8 2009-09-28 06:54:42

bobbym
bumpkin

phrontister wrote:

I also recall that it contained a post from Bobby saying that we could believe everything he said.

I think I was replying to Tigeree and I don't remember what it was about but it still seemed like good advice to me. Looking at that comment now , I find it so offensive that I am glad it was wiped.

Jane wrote:

I agree with what you say in post #2. Well, nobody’s perfect. I suppose an American comedy show could similarly make a humorous sketch on the rudeness of, say, British tourists in America, and then everybody can have a good laugh too.

Jane, retaliation on Britain is not what I had in mind. Ethnic humor, I think can get out of hand. True, there is an awful lot to say about American demeanor both at home and abroad. I prefer personal rancor. You know, insulting a particular individual till he/she is snarling mad. This is so much more rewarding.

Last edited by bobbym (2009-09-28 06:57:21)

#9 2009-09-28 22:45:27

mathsyperson

I don't know why that thread was deleted and it wasn't me who did it, but it's probably not a good idea to go against a moderator's decision like that.

As for why it was deleted, maybe there was another post or two in the topic that aren't in the cache?

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#10 2009-09-29 00:05:23

Identity

mathsyperson wrote:

but it's probably not a good idea to go against a moderator's decision like that.

hmm

#11 2009-09-29 06:33:17

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi all;

I am also curious as to who blipped it. IMHO, they should tell us what was the reason. So that we could adjust our behavior in the future. Also for bragging rights, we should know who was the biggest jerk. Maybe in a thread on this forum we can rate posts and people. Although I would win hands down it still would be interesting to see who comes in second and third...

#12 2009-09-29 09:57:36

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I deleted it.

I originally had accepted it, but on review I saw that it was against the rules and would very likely offend someone.

(Deleting the first post also deletes the thread by the way)

This thread will also be cleaned up soon.

Think about it, imagine putting yourself on the receiving end, or imagine it was about religion, and you will see what I mean.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#13 2009-09-29 10:11:53

JaneFairfax

At last!!

Thanks for explaining everything. I would have appreciated it so much more if you had explained your action straightaway.

Now, as you are the owner of this site, you have the right to allow and disallow anything you want on the site. I have no objection to that. BUT I DO NOT TAKE KINDLY TO BEING TREATED WITH RUDENESS, OKAY?

#14 2009-09-29 10:18:45

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I am usually very busy, and sometimes need to take action "on the fly".

JaneFairfax wrote:

BUT I DO NOT TAKE KINDLY TO BEING TREATED WITH RUDENESS, OKAY?

Neither do I.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#15 2009-09-29 16:48:27

Identity

MathsIsFun, I understand that you are busy and I'm very grateful for what you do in maintaining these forums, but do you think that next time if the first post in a thread is offensive you could just edit the post (wipe it clean) instead of deleting it?

Also Jane there's no need to get so angry over it, I'm sure MathsIsFun has given consideration to your complaints.

#16 2009-09-30 06:41:21

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi MathsisFun;

It is your site, and you are the boss.

Just wanted to say, I was not offended by any comments here. I also was attempting to be funny and apologize for it.

Last edited by bobbym (2009-09-30 20:14:06)

#17 2009-09-30 09:47:23

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Perhaps I take such things too seriously, but I dislike national stereotyping (except of a positive nature!). It is that kind of thing that gets us in a mess sometimes.

The trouble is that it is fun to do, but a little piece of nastiness always attaches itself to the fun.

Also when you actually meet someone from, say, Scotland, your mind is full of ideas about what they should be like. But then the person ends up not like that at all! Or worse still if they exhibit the *least bit* of your prejudiced view, then you assume they are always like that.

#18 2009-09-30 10:52:21

ateawung

ok a have a great school yearwave:P kiss up

#19 2009-09-30 11:00:44

phrontister
Real Member

Hi MathsIsFun,

Like Bobby, I also was not offended by any of the posts here and I too was just trying to be funny. There was no thought at all of wounding anyone.

It is the way my golfing buddies and I talk, and have done so for many years. We're from different nationalities (Aussie, Indiginous, Dutch, English, Scottish, New Zealander) and very much enjoy each other's company, and a large slice of our enjoyment comes from joking around - including such as we've been doing here, and also in tearing one another down and reminding ourselves what rotten golfers we are. But we're also quick to praise.

The difference between that and public forum posts is that in our golfing group we know and understand one another well, and that pokes in the ribs are appreciated (we're one of the jolliest groups out there). And our comments remain private. 

I hadn't read the rules properly and I can see now that some of what I said breached them. They're wise rules for a forum like MIF. Causing offense, even in the slightest degree, is something I never want to be guilty of and so I've deleted my posts from this thread. I want my influence on the forum to be only positive.

I have a bit of a sideways-humour streak in me, but I'll try to keep a tighter rein on it.

I sincerely apologise for the part I played in the problem.

Last edited by phrontister (2009-09-30 11:37:25)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#20 2009-09-30 12:28:59

MathsIsFun
Administrator

phrontister wrote:

I have a bit of a sideways-humour streak in me, but I'll try to keep a tighter rein on it.

No, no, don't stop. We all want to have fun! Just think "would I say this to a stranger". No need for apologies.

#21 2009-09-30 17:25:49

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi all;

Maths wrote:

Just think "would I say this to a stranger".

Heck no, we kill people over here for an insult, real or imagined. This is a math forum so I don't think this is any good but maybe we could start a grievances thread. You know where we could mention our rivals faults and leave out our own. It would be sort of therapeutic.

Last edited by bobbym (2009-09-30 20:13:43)

#22 2009-10-04 19:07:33

Tigeree

MathsIsFun wrote:
phrontister wrote:

No, no, don't stop. We all want to have fun! Just think "would I say this to a stranger". No need for apologies.

I guess it would depend on the stranger. And the stranger's beliefs and nationality and temper and blah, blah, blah, ect. ect....
Anyway, on other things...
That's actually a pretty good idea, bobby. I'd post on that thread. Allowing an actually place for people to release their anger. Terrible emotion.

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#23 2009-10-04 19:11:03

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Tigeree;

Yes, it is a terrible emotion but only when men experience it. I find it cute when women get angry.

#24 2009-10-04 19:25:45

Tigeree

Ooohhhhhh. I suddenly understand you a whole lot more. You'd probably like my mum, then. And possibly myself on that thread. But what if their angry at you?

Last edited by Tigeree (2009-10-04 19:31:26)

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#25 2009-10-05 10:54:27

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Tigeree;

You'd probably like my mum, then. And possibly myself on that thread. But what if their angry at you?

Combat training has left me invulnerable to people's anger. Of course I like your mom. Is she single?

Last edited by bobbym (2009-10-06 03:45:30)

Board footer