Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-31 06:15:55

wintersolstice
Real Member

a bit of an issue

I couldn't go private with this issue (because I don't have Private messaging yet)

Basically I posted a puzzle in this thread http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=12270

No-one answered (fair enough!)

but then someone posts "exactly" the same puzzle as me but states it differently in this thread http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=12454

And people are on it like a shot even though it's the same puzzle!

Now in my thread I had come up with the idea to extend such puzzles to include harder ones.
Since I had "invented" this idea (the extension not the original puzzle) I was annoyed (and hurt) that people ignored it but didn't when someone posted the original puzzle.

I posted in the second thread to say that I had already posted this puzzle and no-one had answered, and I was ignored (again!)

I don't want to cause trouble nor am I trying to make a big deal, I just feel hurt.

Why did the chicken cross the Mobius Band?
To get to the other ...um...!!!

#2 2009-07-31 09:17:55

bobbym
Administrator

Re: a bit of an issue

Hi wintersolstice;

I didn't post on either puzzle because frankly I couldn't solve either of them. I did look at yours many times. I'm sure a lot of other people did too because your post had 192 views. I look and work on all posts but solve only a few. I am not ignoring you and I don't think anyone else is either. Just keep posting, they are being read!

Last edited by bobbym (2009-07-31 16:51:03)

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#3 2009-07-31 11:26:54

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Oh, I am sorry, wintersolstice. Your post was thought provoking, no doubt.

For me soroban's post had the instant appeal of seeing the chains ... I just wanted to link them up! (BTW, that puzzle is not solved yet.)

Why don't you add a post on your topic, something like, "OK, try solving this one: ... "

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2009-08-01 00:42:33

wintersolstice
Real Member

MathsIsFun wrote:

Oh, I am sorry, wintersolstice. Your post was thought provoking, no doubt.

For me soroban's post had the instant appeal of seeing the chains ... I just wanted to link them up! (BTW, that puzzle is not solved yet.)

Why don't you add a post on your topic, something like, "OK, try solving this one: ... "

Well maybe if I could do pictures of chains (I don't don't how!) the 1-100 chain puzzle would be hard to draw without the ellipses.

You see no-one asked what my puzzles were about so if someone could tell me how to do pictures, I could make some other chain puzzles. There's a trick to ones with chains of different lenghths (an idea of my own:D)

thanks

#5 2009-08-01 00:49:22

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Pictures: use any drawing program (from paint to photoshop. I like Inkscape myself) to create the image on your computer, and then upload it into your post.

Have a try and ask questions if you get stuck.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2009-08-01 02:25:04

wintersolstice
Real Member

MathsIsFun wrote:

Pictures: use any drawing program (from paint to photoshop. I like Inkscape myself) to create the image on your computer, and then upload it into your post.

Have a try and ask questions if you get stuck.

The thing is  Soroban didn't use drawing software, they did it with the Maths cod, I was asking how to do that?

Thank you

Last edited by wintersolstice (2009-08-01 02:29:37)

#7 2009-08-01 11:14:50

MathsIsFun
Administrator

To see the latex code that made it, just click on the image.

For me, I would still prefer to draw it smile

#8 2009-08-01 14:44:53

bobbym
Administrator

Hi MathsisFun;

Thanks, I didn't know about clicking on the latex. It works for math too.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Board footer