Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-31 06:15:55

wintersolstice
Real Member

a bit of an issue

I couldn't go private with this issue (because I don't have Private messaging yet)

Basically I posted a puzzle in this thread http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=12270

No-one answered (fair enough!)

but then someone posts "exactly" the same puzzle as me but states it differently in this thread http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=12454

And people are on it like a shot even though it's the same puzzle!

Now in my thread I had come up with the idea to extend such puzzles to include harder ones.
Since I had "invented" this idea (the extension not the original puzzle) I was annoyed (and hurt) that people ignored it but didn't when someone posted the original puzzle.

I posted in the second thread to say that I had already posted this puzzle and no-one had answered, and I was ignored (again!)

I don't want to cause trouble nor am I trying to make a big deal, I just feel hurt.

Why did the chicken cross the Mobius Band?
To get to the other ...um...!!!

#2 2009-07-31 09:17:55

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: a bit of an issue

Hi wintersolstice;

I didn't post on either puzzle because frankly I couldn't solve either of them. I did look at yours many times. I'm sure a lot of other people did too because your post had 192 views. I look and work on all posts but solve only a few. I am not ignoring you and I don't think anyone else is either. Just keep posting, they are being read!

Last edited by bobbym (2009-07-31 16:51:03)

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2009-07-31 11:26:54

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Oh, I am sorry, wintersolstice. Your post was thought provoking, no doubt.

For me soroban's post had the instant appeal of seeing the chains ... I just wanted to link them up! (BTW, that puzzle is not solved yet.)

Why don't you add a post on your topic, something like, "OK, try solving this one: ... "

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2009-08-01 00:42:33

wintersolstice
Real Member

MathsIsFun wrote:

Oh, I am sorry, wintersolstice. Your post was thought provoking, no doubt.

For me soroban's post had the instant appeal of seeing the chains ... I just wanted to link them up! (BTW, that puzzle is not solved yet.)

Why don't you add a post on your topic, something like, "OK, try solving this one: ... "

Well maybe if I could do pictures of chains (I don't don't how!) the 1-100 chain puzzle would be hard to draw without the ellipses.

You see no-one asked what my puzzles were about so if someone could tell me how to do pictures, I could make some other chain puzzles. There's a trick to ones with chains of different lenghths (an idea of my own:D)

thanks

#5 2009-08-01 00:49:22

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Pictures: use any drawing program (from paint to photoshop. I like Inkscape myself) to create the image on your computer, and then upload it into your post.

Have a try and ask questions if you get stuck.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2009-08-01 02:25:04

wintersolstice
Real Member

MathsIsFun wrote:

Pictures: use any drawing program (from paint to photoshop. I like Inkscape myself) to create the image on your computer, and then upload it into your post.

Have a try and ask questions if you get stuck.

The thing is  Soroban didn't use drawing software, they did it with the Maths cod, I was asking how to do that?

Thank you

Last edited by wintersolstice (2009-08-01 02:29:37)

#7 2009-08-01 11:14:50

MathsIsFun
Administrator

To see the latex code that made it, just click on the image.

For me, I would still prefer to draw it smile

#8 2009-08-01 14:44:53

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi MathsisFun;

Thanks, I didn't know about clicking on the latex. It works for math too.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer