Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-30 04:56:57

charismath

The mayonnaise jar and 2 cups of coffee...

hmm the following is a mail a friend of mine sent me quite some time back..its not a joke but i didnt knw where to post it.. And i like it a lot.. so i thout abt sharing this with u people.. hope nobody posted this be4..hope u like it too..

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls.

He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.

The students responded with an unanimous 'yes.'

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

'Now,' said the professor as the laughter subsided, 'I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.

The golf balls are the important things--your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions--and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.

The sand is everything else--the small stuff. 'If you put the sand into the jar first,' he continued, 'there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

'Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups.

Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first--the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.'

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented. The professor smiled.

'I'm glad you asked.

It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend.'

Am Stram Gram Spam

<3 GCJLT

#2 2009-01-30 06:00:12

careless25
Real Member

Re: The mayonnaise jar and 2 cups of coffee...

Great email and a good life lesson.
I think the coffee should be before the sand!
Quality time with friends is worth a lot more than the small stuff.

#3 2009-01-30 06:20:42

careless25
Real Member

no but if you gradually add all the sand in it wont overflow.
Looks like you have already been posting and exploring this forum. wink

#4 2009-01-30 06:37:03

careless25
Real Member

yes i know exactly what you mean, you will learn overtime to control the urges to come on the forum.

#5 2009-01-30 10:16:52

integer

Why was it necessary to use coffee?
Was it coarse sand or fine sand?
Was it a standard silicon glass jar or
an expensive hand crafted specimen?

There are a lot of unanswered questions
about this lesson.

What brand of golf...

#6 2009-01-30 10:37:30

lightning
Real Member

careless25 wrote:

yes i know exactly what you mean, you will learn overtime to control the urges to come on the forum.

it been almost 2 years when i joined this forum and i still havent learned LOL so i joined many forums i loves em all-4 in total. this, janes for goodness thingy, animal crossing and the one i made up!! (in sig vvv)

Sorry i forgot to welcome you charismath, so, Hiyarr. lol

Zappzter - New IM app! Unsure of which room to join? "ZNU" is made to help new users. c:

#7 2009-01-30 17:02:07

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Good one, charismath!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#8 2009-01-30 18:41:15

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Novice
Power Member
Star member
Administrator.

A Real Member can send and receive PMs. The discretion whether to make you a Real Memberof not lies with the Administrator. However, the Admin anad all Moderators are Real members. There are many more Real Members.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#9 2009-01-31 05:44:16

careless25
Real Member

for example me, i m a real member but not a mod or admin.

#10 2009-01-31 06:41:57

lightning
Real Member

What about legendary ganesh? is that there too?

Zappzter - New IM app! Unsure of which room to join? "ZNU" is made to help new users. c:

#11 2009-02-01 05:23:49

integer

To: charismath

Please accept my apology.  I'm sorry that my post offended you.

It was therefore, to you, a lame attempt to repharse "things are not always what they seem."
Generally, there is more to a story than what is observed.

As you read more posts in more forums, you will be able to discern the difference between
good comments and bad ones, brilliant ones and stupid ones, sarcastic and mean, etc.

Again, it was not intended to annoy.

Last edited by integer (2009-02-01 05:24:56)

#12 2009-02-01 09:06:35

careless25
Real Member

Charismath you wont get banned for participating and adding to the forums! big_smile

Don't worry if you don't want to participate in maths...its okay! We don't kick people out if they don't want to do math(we don't discriminate).

#13 2009-02-01 09:25:55

JaneFairfax

charismath, the people who are banned from this forum are almost all spammers (most of whom are probably bots). The only non-spammer I know who has been banned is someone called Anthony R. Brown, who was banned for being abusive to other members and continuing to do so after being warned.

Don’t worry if you don’t want to post about maths here. You will never be banned for coming here just to indulge in harmless off-topic chitchat. smile

#14 2009-02-02 10:25:18

careless25
Real Member

bots is just a short form for robots, but what she means is that a person a designed a program that keeps spamming messages.
you missed 1 of them by mere days or a week or two(don't remember). He caused a lot of trouble, although he/it was banned, MIF had to revert to a backup.

Board footer