Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-01 06:50:06

Identity

A truly brilliant discovery

I have a truly brilliant proof for this following theorem, but unfortunately after its adventure in the washing machine it is no longer legible.

The theorem is as follows:

Given three functions h(x), f(x), and g(x) which are defined for all x,

A general solution can be given by the General Formula for the Solution of Inequalities (GFSI):

My amazing discovery allows you to solve even the most complex of mathematical problems.

Take for instance, the following inequality:

I bet your calculator couldn't even solve that one, but using my special theorem, the answer follows immediately!

(Sorry that wasn't really a joke, but I could find a no more suitable place to place it)

Seriously though, if you are given any school inequality problem where the answer is:

for the maximum possible a and the minimum possible b, couldn't you simply replace a with anything below it and b with anything above it with no worries? All you would have to concede is that it is fuzzier estimate cool

#2 2007-11-10 19:38:46

JohnnyReinB

Re: A truly brilliant discovery

yeah, but in math, the better the estimate, the more corect the answer, right?

"There is not a difference between an in-law and an outlaw, except maybe that an outlaw is wanted" wink

Nisi Quam Primum, Nequequam

#3 2007-11-11 00:54:10

mathsyperson

But that would give you wrong answers.

eg. Solve the inequality 2<x<9.

The answer is 2<x<9. tongue
But by your theorem, you could extend that to, say, -3<x<17. But then that would mean that x=13 was a solution, but it clearly isn't.

What you can do is raise a or lower b (as long as a≤b).
So, giving 4<x<6.5 would be a correct, but less useful, answer.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#4 2007-11-11 02:11:48

JaneFairfax

It depends on which of the following questions you want to answer.

I think Identity’s formula is designed to answer question (ii) rather than question (i). In this case, it is NOT a general solution, only an existential one. shame

Thus, if 2 < x < 9 and S = {x: −∞ < x < ∞}, then (ii) is true, though (i) isn’t. (On the other hand, if S = {x: 4 < x < 6.5}, then both (i) and (ii) are true.)

Even so, Identity’s “discovery” won’t solve all possible problems. For example, what if 9 < x < 2? There is no solution at all, so even S = {x: −∞ < x < ∞} fails. (There is no S that can make (ii) true; as for (i), it can only be true if S = Ø.)

I’m sorry to say this, Identitiy, but your discovery is flawed. rolleyes

Last edited by JaneFairfax (2007-11-11 05:24:00)

#5 2007-11-11 02:37:45

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

What is this thread doing in 'Jokes' Section?
This merits being posted in Euler Avenue!!!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#6 2007-11-11 23:42:16

Identity

ganesh wrote:

What is this thread doing in 'Jokes' Section?
This merits being posted in Euler Avenue!!!

I couldn't decide if it should be an incredibly bad joke which someone might take notice of or a question which is incredibly ridiculous. I decided on posting it as an incredibly bad joke.

Board footer