Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ π -

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2007-07-04 10:01:26

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Parabola and Ellipse

I have been a little Geometric of late, and have produced:

Parabola

Ellipse and Perimeter of Ellipse

Conic Sections (those images took over a day, using PovRay)

I hope you all enjoy reading, and I would also value a critical mathematical eye to correct any mistakes (I am only human!)

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2007-07-04 10:20:09

mikau

Re: Parabola and Ellipse

I like it! The conic sections are awesome, and i never knew that ellipse perimeter couldn't be solved with integration. Very cool!

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#3 2007-07-05 09:12:16

mathsyperson

Ooh, these look very interesting. Some of the most advanced pages you've done, particularly the one on the perimeter of an ellipse. I can't see any mistakes though, although that could be because some of it's over my head. smile

For example, what on Earth are half-integer factorials all about?

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#4 2007-07-05 10:10:07

MathsIsFun
Administrator

(1/2)! etc, the Gamma function deals with them. Very interesting subject, and I hope (one day) to write a page about it smile

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2007-07-05 15:14:08

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I added a small section about it to the end of the page on Factorial Function !

#6 2007-07-18 05:18:56

bossk171
Power Member

What about the latus rectum?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who can use induction.

#7 2007-07-18 08:14:31

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Good suggestion, thanks

Board footer