Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-12 14:00:51

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Thr Circle and Two Parallel Chords

AB and CD are two parallel chords in the same circle measuring 5 cm and 11 cm respectively.
If, the distance between AB and CD is 6 cm
Then find out the radius of the circle

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'But our love is like the wind. I can't see it but I can feel it.' -A Walk to remember

#2 2013-03-12 14:23:10

Nehushtan
Website

Re: Thr Circle and Two Parallel Chords

I got

172 books currently added on Goodreads

#3 2013-03-12 14:38:44

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

How to solve?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'But our love is like the wind. I can't see it but I can feel it.' -A Walk to remember

#4 2013-03-12 20:35:37

bob bundy

See diagram.

The perpendicular bisector of any chord goes through the centre of the circle (prove by congruency) and as the chords are parallel , FGE is a straight line.

So FG = x => GE = 6 - x

Get expressions for R using Pythagoras on AFG and also CEG.

Eliminate x and find R

Bob

View Image: agnishom18.gif

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#5 2013-03-12 21:33:04

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Thanks I can do it now

Board footer