Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2012-12-18 04:43:43

jackme12
Novice

Prove √5 is irrational...

As the subject says, can anybody prove that route 5 is irrational?

#2 2012-12-18 05:51:05

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Re: Prove √5 is irrational...

Let's assume that the opposite is true, that is  that square root 5 is rational. This would mean it can be written in the form p/q, where gcd(p,q)=1.

So:
sqrt(5)=p/q
Then we square both sides:
5=p^2/q^2
5*q^2=p^2
So this means that p must be divisible by 5, and we can write p=5*r and our equation becomes:
5*q^2=25*r^2
q^2=5*r^2,
But this would mean that q is also divisible by 5, and we said that p and q have a gcd of 1! This is a contradiction, so our initial assumption that sqrt(5) is rational is false!

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#3 2012-12-18 06:03:50

bob bundy

hi Stefy,

He posted again in help and I replied there.

If p^2 is divisible by 5, how do you know that p is also divisible by 5 ?

(I know it is, but I want a justification please.  Otherwise every root is irrational.)

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#4 2012-12-18 06:05:17

anonimnystefy
Real Member

If p weren't divisible by 5 then neither would be p^2.

“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#5 2012-12-18 06:07:12

bob bundy

why?

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#6 2012-12-18 06:12:28

anonimnystefy
Real Member

This can be shown by assuming that p isn't divisible by 5 and then going through 4 cases p=5k+1,5k+2,5k+3,5k+4 and squaring p in each case to see that the square of p is respectively 1, 4, 4, 1 in each case.

#7 2012-12-18 06:22:00

bob bundy

Ok.  That'll do me.  Thanks.

Bob

#8 2012-12-18 06:29:19

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Don't mention it!

#9 2012-12-18 08:42:37

jackme12
Novice

Thanks a lot, that is great help. 

Apologies about the confusion with posting in two forums.

Jack

#10 2012-12-18 08:50:53

anonimnystefy
Real Member

You're welome! smile

#11 2012-12-18 22:38:41

mathaholic
Star Member

Jackme12, welcome to the forum. Sorry if I was a bit late in greeting ya. Anyways, I cannot prove yet that route 5 is irrational 'cause I am just too young to learn irrational numbers like those.
Have fun in the forum, Jackme12!

Julian

246 pages on Prime Numbers Wiki (+1)

Board footer