Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-22 01:18:26

bobbym
Administrator

Geogebra and jumping frogs.

Hi;

Posted elsewhere is the problem of the jumping frog. Geogebra makes the problem easy and shows that it is more geometric than anything else.

A bullfrog leaps 2 meters in some direction. Does not like its location so it randomly leaps n meters again in some direction. If its odds of being within 1 meter from its original position are 1 / 6 then what is n?

Basically what you do is draw a unit circle around the origin. The origin represents the starting point of the frog. Draw another concentric circle with radius 2 (shaded circle). This represents all possible first jumps. WLOG pick a point on the shaded circle and call it B. Draw two tangents from B to the smaller circle. Call the tangent points F and G. Now it is just a geometry proof. Angle FBG is 60 degrees. The red circle represents all possible 2nd jumps. This angle of 60 degrees represents 1 / 6 of all possible second jumps.

Line segments AB and BC are

long. That is the length of n.

View Image: hello.gif

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Board footer