Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-12 16:46:01

MathsIsFun
Administrator

What was that Latex Symbol?

This is an example of really a good little application someone made: http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2009-07-13 02:53:37

Ricky

Re: What was that Latex Symbol?

This makes me more confident that the symbol for transversal intersection (it's about a page down or so, but the one I'm used to also has a line going horizontally on top), does not exist in Latex... despite my hours spent searching for it.

Great find, Mathsisfun, I'm ashamed I didn't think of it first.  What we now need to do is embed this into an IDE like winshell or Texnic Center.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2009-07-13 03:39:57

mathsyperson

I haven't managed to stump it yet, but maybe I'm not giving it exotic enough symbols.

Ricky, is this what you want?

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#4 2009-07-13 06:40:24

Ricky

Almost mathsyperson.

Though there should be a little more space between that horizontal bar and the normal pitchfork.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2009-07-13 06:53:06

Ricky

I haven't managed to stump it yet, but maybe I'm not giving it exotic enough symbols.

It wasn't recognizing sharp (i.e. tic-tac-toe board) until I trained it a few times.  That thing learns pretty darn quick!

Board footer