Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-03 12:43:48

JaneFairfax

The Pope and the Jews

The Pope challenged the Jewish community of Rome to a debate.

The Jews sought the wisest among them, but no one would take the risk. Too much was at stake.

Only Moishe, an old street-sweeper, offered to help. Being very shy, he asked for one stipulation: neither party would be allowed to speak. The Pope agreed.

On the day of the great debate, Moishe and the Pope sat opposite each other. After three minutes of silence, the Pope raised three fingers. Moishe responded by raising one finger. The Pope moved his hand in a circle over his head. Moishe pointed at the floor. The Pope pulled out a wafer and a glass of wine. Moishe pulled out an apple.

The Pope said, “This man is too good. I concede.”

Later, the cardinals asked the Pope what had happened.

“I held up three fingers to represent the Trinity,” said the Pope, “and he held up one finger to remind me there is one God common to both our faiths. Then I gestured with my hand to show him that God was all around us. And he pointed at the ground, saying that God was also right here. I pulled out the wafer and wine to show that God absolves us from our sins. And he pulled out an apple to remind me of original sin. He had an answer for everything. What could I do?”

Meanwhile, the Jewish scholars had gathered around Moishe, congratulating him on his incredible victory. “What happened?” they asked.

“Well, I’m not exactly sure,” said Moishe. “He said the Jews had three hours to leave Rome. I said not one of us is leaving. Then he said the entire city would be cleared of Jews. And I said we’re staying right here.”

“And then?”

“I don’t know. He took out his lunch and I took out mine.”

#2 2008-01-04 02:24:31

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: The Pope and the Jews

roflol

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2008-01-04 10:41:52

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I have just entertained 2 people with that. Big laughs!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2008-01-04 18:58:05

JohnnyReinB

I heard of a version of that concerning a Hermit and a priest that are separated by a large canyon. Still, this one's funnier!

"There is not a difference between an in-law and an outlaw, except maybe that an outlaw is wanted" wink

Nisi Quam Primum, Nequequam

#5 2008-01-06 08:46:32

MasterofDisguise

wow i thought that guy knew what he was talking about
but its still funny roflol:

Last edited by MasterofDisguise (2008-01-06 08:56:32)

(im an ALIEN eek) im kool tongue (WHAT what You cant steal my fridge!)]

#6 2008-01-06 08:46:49

MasterofDisguise

lol

(im an ALIEN eek) im kool tongue (WHAT what You cant steal my fridge!)]

#7 2008-05-03 01:57:36

coconut

yeah sooooo big_smile:D:D:D:P:P:P:lol::lol::lol::cool::cool::cool:dizzydizzyeekeekkisskisskissroflol         roflolrolleyesshameupupuptouchedtongue

Last edited by coconut (2008-05-03 01:59:12)

shimmy shimmy coconut shimmy shimmy nut

#8 2008-05-03 02:13:54

luca-deltodesco

Not expecting that tongue

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#9 2019-11-29 18:52:29

Monox D. I-Fly

JaneFairfax wrote:

The Pope challenged the Jewish community of Rome to a debate.

The Jews sought the wisest among them, but no one would take the risk. Too much was at stake.

Only Moishe, an old street-sweeper, offered to help. Being very shy, he asked for one stipulation: neither party would be allowed to speak. The Pope agreed.

On the day of the great debate, Moishe and the Pope sat opposite each other. After three minutes of silence, the Pope raised three fingers. Moishe responded by raising one finger. The Pope moved his hand in a circle over his head. Moishe pointed at the floor. The Pope pulled out a wafer and a glass of wine. Moishe pulled out an apple.

The Pope said, “This man is too good. I concede.”

Later, the cardinals asked the Pope what had happened.

“I held up three fingers to represent the Trinity,” said the Pope, “and he held up one finger to remind me there is one God common to both our faiths. Then I gestured with my hand to show him that God was all around us. And he pointed at the ground, saying that God was also right here. I pulled out the wafer and wine to show that God absolves us from our sins. And he pulled out an apple to remind me of original sin. He had an answer for everything. What could I do?”

Meanwhile, the Jewish scholars had gathered around Moishe, congratulating him on his incredible victory. “What happened?” they asked.

“Well, I’m not exactly sure,” said Moishe. “He said the Jews had three hours to leave Rome. I said not one of us is leaving. Then he said the entire city would be cleared of Jews. And I said we’re staying right here.”

“And then?”

“I don’t know. He took out his lunch and I took out mine.”

Ah... The "Complexity VS Simplicity" Jokes... Always manages to make me put on a smile...

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

Board footer