Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-12 00:35:59

nycguitarguy

Cross-sectional Area

The cross-sectional area of a beam cut from a log with radius 1 foot is given by A(x) = 4x•rt{1 - x^2)}, where rt = root and x represents the length (in feet) of half the base of the beam. Determine the cross-sectional area of the beam if the length of half the base of the beam is 1/3 of a foot.

Let me see.

I think this is a plug and chug problem.

We are looking for A(1/3).

Yes?

#2 2024-03-12 00:49:20

Bob
Administrator

Re: Cross-sectional Area

Yes.

B

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2024-03-12 12:02:15

nycguitarguy

Bob wrote:

Yes.

B

Perfect.

1. I must find a way to upload pictures or else my time here will not be pleasant.

2. I have decided to include a self-study of precalculus along with college algebra. The two courses are not so dissimilar.

3. After going through both textbooks, I may want to jump into a calculus textbook by the late James Stewart.

4. Working a full-time job is the biggest reason why it is taking so long to complete my study of mathematics before calculus 1.

5. My friends and family think I am ridiculous for answering math questions at 58 soon to be 59. They say this all the time: GUIDO, WHAT IS THE POINT? WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PROVE? WHY CAN'T YOU JUST ACEPT THE FACT THAT YOUR SCHOOL DAYS ENDED IN DECEMBER 1993? YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE A MATH TEACHER OR TUTOR. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, GUIDO?

BOB, WHAT DO YOU SAY ABOUT POINT 5 ABOVE?

#4 2024-03-12 20:59:04

KerimF

Did they also tell you what is better for you to do instead of what you are doing?

Every human, he likes or not, has to find out how to fill the time which is given to him from his birth to his death.
So, almost every human tries his best to prove, to himself and others, that he knows how to fill his time better than how others do.
This is a universal fact that will exist always in human's life.

On my side, since after year 2011 (when the world launched its terror war in my region) I have just worked to get my daily bread only (yes, nothing else). I even have no more suitable dresses to go out. Fortunately, I didn't need to go to a doctor in this long period of time. Meanwhile, I gave all profits which I gain from designing and producing new electronic products (needed by the local consumers) to my few assistants (and their families). Why I live this way? I do it because this how I feel fine in filling my time. Naturally, most people around me, if not all, find really hard to understand how a professional designer in electronics accepts to live this way (and staying in his room, day and night, with his old laptop and old devices/stuff related to electronics).

I mean, in general, one cannot really please himself and others as well, at the same time. Only a clever deceiver can manage to do it smile

#5 2024-03-12 22:15:46

Bob
Administrator

Exactly! You do want you want. It's good for the brain and maybe for the soul.

I retired from teaching some years ago.  Whilst a teacher I also helped with school shows by forming a Tech Crew from the pupils, and doing lighting, sound, making scenery etc. When I retired I offered to continue these things on a voluntary basis. This Sunday I'm helping with a dance show.

I also contribute to this forum.

I also am a volunteer at the local heath, helping to promote heather growth and keep down the 'unwanted' plants.

I could give up all these things.  But I'm happy with my life choices so I don't give them up. This is me: smile

Please carry on otherwise who will I help? You're my best pupil!

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#6 2024-03-13 01:47:01

nycguitarguy

Bob wrote:

Exactly! You do want you want. It's good for the brain and maybe for the soul.

I retired from teaching some years ago.  Whilst a teacher I also helped with school shows by forming a Tech Crew from the pupils, and doing lighting, sound, making scenery etc. When I retired I offered to continue these things on a voluntary basis. This Sunday I'm helping with a dance show.

I also contribute to this forum.

I also am a volunteer at the local heath, helping to promote heather growth and keep down the 'unwanted' plants.

I could give up all these things.  But I'm happy with my life choices so I don't give them up. This is me: smile

Please carry on otherwise who will I help? You're my best pupil!

Bob

Thank you for positive words. I will continue to do whatever makes me happy and relaxed.

#7 2024-03-13 01:59:08

nycguitarguy

KerimF wrote:

Did they also tell you what is better for you to do instead of what you are doing?

Every human, he likes or not, has to find out how to fill the time which is given to him from his birth to his death.
So, almost every human tries his best to prove, to himself and others, that he knows how to fill his time better than how others do.
This is a universal fact that will exist always in human's life.

On my side, since after year 2011 (when the world launched its terror war in my region) I have just worked to get my daily bread only (yes, nothing else). I even have no more suitable dresses to go out. Fortunately, I didn't need to go to a doctor in this long period of time. Meanwhile, I gave all profits which I gain from designing and producing new electronic products (needed by the local consumers) to my few assistants (and their families). Why I live this way? I do it because this how I feel fine in filling my time. Naturally, most people around me, if not all, find really hard to understand how a professional designer in electronics accepts to live this way (and staying in his room, day and night, with his old laptop and old devices/stuff related to electronics).

I mean, in general, one cannot really please himself and others as well, at the same time. Only a clever deceiver can manage to do it smile

I will try to live my life as I please. I have to stop being a slave to the
opinion of others. Who else knows me better than the person typing these words. Family members are the hardest people to please. No matter what I do or say, I am always wrong in their eyes.

They say this:

1. I am never going to use math to make money.

2. I am too old to play with textbooks.

3. Give it up, Guido.

4. A "friend" told me to forget about math and to start saving for my future burial. I ended my 12-year "friendship" after such a comment.

5. They also told me to stop playing guitar. In other words, do nothing that makes me happy.

Board footer