Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-07 01:43:51

nycguitarguy

Master Word Problems

I say that solving word problems is the best skill a student can develop. I missed out on good jobs in the past because I simply couldn't get beyond word problems. Financial Advisor at Bank One is a perfect example. The bank representative said that my score was the lowest in the history of the bank in that particular area in Springfield Missouri in 2006. To every student out there, please do yourself a favor and master word problems.

You say?

#2 2024-03-07 23:49:45

KerimF

Re: Master Word Problems

Good remark.
In fact, in real life, queries/problems start (are given) always by words first.

#3 2024-03-08 10:49:29

nycguitarguy

KerimF wrote:

Good remark.
In fact, in real life, queries/problems start (are given) always by words first.

Yes, very true. Word problems indicate if the student knows to work out the problem. When I took the Bank One test in 2006 the exam did not ask me to solve a linear equation for x. The test had sections:

A. Vocabulary

B. Reading

C. Arithmetic Reasoning

I bombed Part C. By the way, I had 2 college degrees under my belt when I took the exam in Springfield Missouri but managed to get the lowest score in the history of the bank at that particular branch. It's hard to forget embarrassing moments like that, right? I mean, 18 years later and I still feel the pain of failing an exam that was going to give me a brand new start in another state far away from NYC. instead, I returned home shortly thereafter feeling down and out.

#4 2024-03-08 19:37:54

KerimF

English is my third language, after French and Arabic. When I joined the faculty of electrical and electronics engineering at AUB (in Beirut), my first two courses were in electronics. Their two scores were the lowest ones (around 70%, just enough to pass them) among my MS eight ones. This happened because, at the beginning, my English wasn't good enough to understand well their exam's problems. Later, my English became better, and my scores were around 95% for the remaining 6 courses (which were not related directly to electronics). The irony is that, after my studies, I became professional in electronics (for which I got the lowest scores) and not in the field of any of the six remaining courses (for which I got the highest scores).

#5 2024-03-09 02:22:53

nycguitarguy

KerimF wrote:

English is my third language, after French and Arabic. When I joined the faculty of electrical and electronics engineering at AUB (in Beirut), my first two courses were in electronics. Their two scores were the lowest ones (around 70%, just enough to pass them) among my MS eight ones. This happened because, at the beginning, my English wasn't good enough to understand well their exam's problems. Later, my English became better, and my scores were around 95% for the remaining 6 courses (which were not related directly to electronics). The irony is that, after my studies, I became professional in electronics (for which I got the lowest scores) and not in the field of any of the six remaining courses (for which I got the highest scores).

I do understand the turn of events in your life. Learning the English language well was your main struggle. How do you think I feel? I was raised in the United States and could not pass a timed exam for jobs if my life depended on it. By this I don't mean that I failed every test but certaintly not the brightest student in the class that's for sure.

Ironically, I did very well in my college math courses but when it came down to taking timed exams for a job I really wanted and needed back in my 30s, passing the many tests I did take was an impossible hill to climb. In fact, in 1984, I graduated from high school. In 1985, I failed the NYPD exam with a miserable score of 58%. I still recall the embarrassing score 39 years later. Had I scored above 70%, I could have been a cop.

Board footer