Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-20 02:41:35

Patriciuss

Mathematical geography - homework

Good morning. I would like to ask you if you could help me with my homework. i have some exercices what I must calculate on homework in school. But I dont know how to start. Please is there some possibility to find solution of my school homework? I try to calculate it still.

1. What is the length of the 0°W parallel in a Lambert azimuth display at a scale of 1:150,000,000? Round the result to whole millimeters.

2. What is the length of the part of the prime meridian in the region between the parallels of 80°N and 10°N? Calculate the result for the world map in orthographic projection at a scale of 1:120,000,000 and round to whole millimeters.

3. What is the latitude of a point that has Cartesian coordinates X: 50 mm and Y: 15 mm on a map in an orthographic projection at a scale of 1 : 90,000,000? The North Pole lies at the origin of the Cartesian coordinate system. Round the result to whole degrees and enter only the numerical value (without marking NW, SW, etc.).

4. How much more mm is the distance between the North Pole and the parallel of 10° N on the map in the Postel view compared to the map in the Lambert azimuth view? Both maps are on a scale of 1:90,000,000. Round the result to three decimal places.

5. What is the length of the part of the Prime Meridian in the area between the parallels of 50°N and 20°S? Calculate the result for a world map in the Mercator view at a scale of 1:80,000,000 and round to whole millimeters.

6. On the world map in Behrmann's display at a scale of 1 : 120,000,000, the area between the Arctic Circle, the Tropic of Capricorn, the meridian of 70° W and the meridian of 50° E is marked. What is the area of this area drawn on the map? Enter the result in mm² and round it to a whole number.

7. What is the latitude of a point drawn on a map of the Northern Hemisphere at a distance of 30 mm from the equator (the distance is measured along the local meridian)? The map is made in Marin's view at a scale of 1 : 65,000,000. Round the result to degrees and enter only the numerical value (without indicating N.W.W.).

8. The American state of Colorado is marked in color on the map in Lambert's cone display at a scale of 1:10,000,000. What is the area of the colored area on the map? Calculate based on the meridians and parallels delimiting the given territory (it has the shape of a rectangle). The latitude of the undistorted parallel is 25° N. W. Give the result in mm².

9. Calculate the length of the segment drawn on the map connecting Prague (50°N, 15°E) and Bamako (13°N, 8°W). The map depicts the world in a Lambert conic display at a scale of 1:115,000,000. The latitude of the undistorted parallel is 30° N. Give the result in millimeters and round to whole numbers.

10. What is the length of the 60 NW parallel in Sanson's 1:120,000,000 scale view? Round the result to whole millimeters.

Thank you for your help and reply

#2 2023-11-20 05:24:28

Bob
Administrator

Re: Mathematical geography - homework

hi Patriciuss

Welcome to the forum.

Wow! eek

Is this a joke?  What school is expecting this as a hw assignment? And what age of student?

If you're serious then let's start with Q1. What formulas have you been given for this?

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2023-11-21 05:34:41

sologuitar

Patriciuss wrote:

Good morning. I would like to ask you if you could help me with my homework. i have some exercices what I must calculate on homework in school. But I dont know how to start. Please is there some possibility to find solution of my school homework? I try to calculate it still.

1. What is the length of the 0°W parallel in a Lambert azimuth display at a scale of 1:150,000,000? Round the result to whole millimeters.

2. What is the length of the part of the prime meridian in the region between the parallels of 80°N and 10°N? Calculate the result for the world map in orthographic projection at a scale of 1:120,000,000 and round to whole millimeters.

3. What is the latitude of a point that has Cartesian coordinates X: 50 mm and Y: 15 mm on a map in an orthographic projection at a scale of 1 : 90,000,000? The North Pole lies at the origin of the Cartesian coordinate system. Round the result to whole degrees and enter only the numerical value (without marking NW, SW, etc.).

4. How much more mm is the distance between the North Pole and the parallel of 10° N on the map in the Postel view compared to the map in the Lambert azimuth view? Both maps are on a scale of 1:90,000,000. Round the result to three decimal places.

5. What is the length of the part of the Prime Meridian in the area between the parallels of 50°N and 20°S? Calculate the result for a world map in the Mercator view at a scale of 1:80,000,000 and round to whole millimeters.

6. On the world map in Behrmann's display at a scale of 1 : 120,000,000, the area between the Arctic Circle, the Tropic of Capricorn, the meridian of 70° W and the meridian of 50° E is marked. What is the area of this area drawn on the map? Enter the result in mm² and round it to a whole number.

7. What is the latitude of a point drawn on a map of the Northern Hemisphere at a distance of 30 mm from the equator (the distance is measured along the local meridian)? The map is made in Marin's view at a scale of 1 : 65,000,000. Round the result to degrees and enter only the numerical value (without indicating N.W.W.).

8. The American state of Colorado is marked in color on the map in Lambert's cone display at a scale of 1:10,000,000. What is the area of the colored area on the map? Calculate based on the meridians and parallels delimiting the given territory (it has the shape of a rectangle). The latitude of the undistorted parallel is 25° N. W. Give the result in mm².

9. Calculate the length of the segment drawn on the map connecting Prague (50°N, 15°E) and Bamako (13°N, 8°W). The map depicts the world in a Lambert conic display at a scale of 1:115,000,000. The latitude of the undistorted parallel is 30° N. Give the result in millimeters and round to whole numbers.

10. What is the length of the 60 NW parallel in Sanson's 1:120,000,000 scale view? Round the result to whole millimeters.

Thank you for your help and reply

1. In what way are you going to receive help here if others solve your obvious homework problems?

2. We don't solve millions of questions per student.

3. Where are you stuck with question 1?

4. What effort have you made to solve question 1?

5. Post one question at a time.

#4 2023-11-22 06:45:00

amnkb

Bob wrote:

Wow! eek Is this a joke?  What school is expecting this as a hw assignment? And what age of student?

sologuitar wrote:

In what way are you going to receive help here if others solve your obvious homework problems?

glad these are obvious to you up
(my response is same as bob's)
youve said when you dont show work then you need help geting started
maybe you can get OP started on Q1?
thanks! big_smile

#5 2023-11-22 10:54:49

sologuitar

amnkb wrote:
Bob wrote:

Wow! eek Is this a joke?  What school is expecting this as a hw assignment? And what age of student?

sologuitar wrote:

In what way are you going to receive help here if others solve your obvious homework problems?

glad these are obvious to you up
(my response is same as bob's)
youve said when you dont show work then you need help geting started
maybe you can get OP started on Q1?
thanks! big_smile

I am not going to waste precious time with any of these questions. The person who posted these problems does not care to learn. When I post a problem, depending on the type of problem, I always try to do my part.

#6 2023-11-22 20:53:26

Bob
Administrator

Sometimes we get posters who just want someone to do their homework for them.  Our rules specifically say we don't do this.  I'm a retired teacher. I expect students to do their homework themselves.  But I will help if I can. My usual response is to push the thread back to the poster

eg wrote:

What formulas have you been given for this?

Mostlly that's the last we hear from the poster so we haven't wasted any time on them. If I do get a response then I've got something specific to work with.

Members: it's up to you, but I suggest you post nothing and await that response. If it doesn't happen then we haven't wasted any time or bandwidth.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#7 2023-11-24 13:13:46

sologuitar

1. In what way are you going to receive help here if others solve your obvious homework problems?

2. We don't solve millions of questions per student.

3. Where are you stuck with question 1?

4. What effort have you made to solve question 1?

5. Post one question at a time.

Board footer