Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-29 20:20:03

SleepDeprived

Statistics and Probability

Hello everyone, I have this probability question but am unsure how to answer questions 1 to 5, can someone help?

A total of 20 applicants came in for a job interview. Among them, four were 45 years old, six were 39 years old, three were 42 years old, five were 40 years old, and two were 35 years old. Let x be the age of a randomly selected applicant.
1. What are the possible values for the random variable?
2. Construct a probability distribution for the given random variable.
3. Construct a histogram for the probability distribution
4. What is the probability that a randomly selected applicant is 35 years old?
5. What is the probability that a randomly selected applicant is older than 43 years old?

#2 2022-10-30 20:18:39

Bob
Administrator

Re: Statistics and Probability

The random variable is the ages of the applicants. Q2 just means writing the information out like in your other question

Histogram? The ages information given is discreet ie. only certain values. A histogram needs continuous data. I think the question should say bar graph.

The information gives frequencies but it's easy to convert these to probabilities by calculating frequency/total .

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer