Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-13 02:55:01

Zephyr1779

Re-learning math from the basics. Go by grades or go by topics?

Hi, everyone!

I'm planning on restudying math from the beginning (K-12), via MathIsFun, KhanAcademy, and plenty of other resources.

Now, what I'd like to ask is, as the title says, should I study material grade by grade or topic by topic?

Additionally, is there a way to test myself to know from which grade/topic I should start, like doing some sort of "evaluation test" or something similar whether on KhanAcademy or some other website?

I'm asking this primarily because I know that early math will be a breeze to go through, so instead of wasting time on that, I would like to know if there is a way to start from somewhere where I'm weak and have holes to fill in?

Or should I ignore that and immediately start from the 1st grade and reconsolidate my foundations?

Any advice?

#2 2022-10-13 06:51:01

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Re-learning math from the basics. Go by grades or go by topics?

Hi Zephyr1779,

Welcome to the forum!

In my opinion, the ideal way to start with grade-wise. It is better to begin with fundamentals and increase the skills. MathsIsFun is the best launching pad.If you are certain your foundation is strong, you can gradually go up.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2022-10-14 06:26:15

Zephyr1779

ganesh wrote:

Hi Zephyr1779,

Welcome to the forum!

In my opinion, the ideal way to start with grade-wise. It is better to begin with fundamentals and increase the skills. MathsIsFun is the best launching pad.If you are certain your foundation is strong, you can gradually go up.

Thank you for the response, ganesh!

One thing I forgot to mention in the OP about my knowledge was that the last time I did math was in high school which was about 6-7 years ago. Each time I did math tests I managed to get a C and B (sometimes A's, but those were rare).

The problem with the method of studying back then that I was using was rote learning. I crammed everything the night before tests, so everything that I learned all those days at school, I basically forgot now. Which is the reason why I'm planning on restudying everything from the point where I'm weakest all the way up to the pre-college material.

This is the reason why I'm looking for some sort of "evaluation" or "diagnostic" test to see where I should start.

For example, I know how to do arithmetic operations (ASMD) with whole numbers, fractions, decimals, etc. I know percentages, exponentiation, rooting, ratios, proportions, and elementary algebra. But that's about all I can remember right now, so I don't know where to start right now.

Thanks again for the replies guys, it really means it

#4 2022-10-14 13:26:19

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi Zephyr,

Please see the links below. Click of the link.

Index by Year and Subject.

Year 10 to University : Numbers Index.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#5 2022-10-17 10:08:23

Zephyr1779

ganesh wrote:

Hi Zephyr,

Please see the links below. Click of the link.

Index by Year and Subject.

Year 10 to University : Numbers Index.

Thanks, Ganesh again for the reply. I've got one last reply.

Anyway, regarding the links you've sent me, how should I proceed? I see many of the grades have repeating topics (e.g. "Years 7-9" and "Years 10+" have "Absolute Value", "Exponents', "Pi", etc.), so how should I create a study plan for the restudy planning?

Also, in what order should I learn topics from each section (Numbers, Algebra, Geometry, Data, Measurement), top-to-bottom, or choose any section I like, and go from any topics which I'd like to learn?

So, in your opinion, what would be the best way to start relearning, that is, what plan would you create?

#6 2022-10-17 11:33:33

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi Zephyr1779,

I would say in an ascending order of Age + Topics.

For a beginner.

And gain knowledge gradually. 

I can help you whenever required.

#7 2022-10-17 21:26:16

Bob
Administrator

hi Zephyr1779

Sorry I'm a bit late entering this discussion.  There's a school of thought that you have to build up understanding from the base and add new topics as you are able.  I don't subscribe to this view; especially for someone who did some of the work a while ago and wants to consolidate and progress.

I think of understanding math as being like trying to do a giant jigsaw.  Nobody does a jigaw by starting at the bottom and working up. Rather, we do the easy bits like the edge first and any bits that are easily identified like a telegraph pole or a notice with writing on, and gradually work into the harder areas.  And if a bit gets tough you can always work around the edge of a topic so as to make it more manageable.

The MIF site that Ganesh has linked to is full of topics, and loads of cross links betwen topics, so you can go wherever it leads you.  Many pages have 'test yourself' questions at the bottom; so, if you know how to do something, skip it entirely; if you're not sure, do the test questions; and that leaves you much more time to get into the hard stuff. 

It is possible to skip over something if it's hard; do related stuff; and return when it makes more sense.  In one course I was studying, prior to teaching it for the first time, I jumped past chapter 3 completely, did all the rest, and then came back to the bit I'd avoided.  It worked and I found it much easier then.

The MIF pages are an excellent resource for studying most math; the explanations are good with helpful diagrams and some have interactive things to try.  When you're still stuck, post a Help Me here and one of us will try to explain what you need.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#8 2022-10-19 03:59:44

Zephyr1779

ganesh wrote:

Hi Zephyr1779,

I would say in an ascending order of Age + Topics.

For a beginner.

And gain knowledge gradually. 

I can help you whenever required.

Bob wrote:

hi Zephyr1779

Sorry I'm a bit late entering this discussion.  There's a school of thought that you have to build up understanding from the base and add new topics as you are able.  I don't subscribe to this view; especially for someone who did some of the work a while ago and wants to consolidate and progress.

I think of understanding math as being like trying to do a giant jigsaw.  Nobody does a jigaw by starting at the bottom and working up. Rather, we do the easy bits like the edge first and any bits that are easily identified like a telegraph pole or a notice with writing on, and gradually work into the harder areas.  And if a bit gets tough you can always work around the edge of a topic so as to make it more manageable.

The MIF site that Ganesh has linked to is full of topics, and loads of cross links betwen topics, so you can go wherever it leads you.  Many pages have 'test yourself' questions at the bottom; so, if you know how to do something, skip it entirely; if you're not sure, do the test questions; and that leaves you much more time to get into the hard stuff. 

It is possible to skip over something if it's hard; do related stuff; and return when it makes more sense.  In one course I was studying, prior to teaching it for the first time, I jumped past chapter 3 completely, did all the rest, and then came back to the bit I'd avoided.  It worked and I found it much easier then.

The MIF pages are an excellent resource for studying most math; the explanations are good with helpful diagrams and some have interactive things to try.  When you're still stuck, post a Help Me here and one of us will try to explain what you need.

Bob

Got it! Thanks for the help, both of you!

I'll go from the easiest categories up to the hardest and note down where exactly am I missing knowledge, or am weakest in, and work hard to focus on those topics!

Thanks again for the assistance!

Board footer