Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-27 10:24:27

sologuitar

Unbounded Intervals

Visit https://imgur.com/a/MMz2Kir and tell me why there is not a defining inequality for (-00, 00).

Note: -00 = negative infinity

Note: 00 = positive infinity

#2 2022-09-27 20:02:54

Bob
Administrator

Re: Unbounded Intervals

Sorry  I'm not seeing anything on that address.  Are you able to text more details of this problem?

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2022-09-28 02:38:45

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bob;

I use a PC, and so maybe my experience differs from how the OP's device works (or can work) with Imgur, but this is what I've observed and got:

The OP's address isn't to the image itself...it's only to the Imgur web page with the image on it (amongst other things).

An image address has an image format extension, such as PNG, JPEG...which isn't the case with the OP's 'https://imgur.com/a/MMz2Kir'.

Solution:
I copied the OP's url into my browser's address bar, right-clicked the image that appears on the resulting Imgur page, selected 'Copy image address' from the drop-down menu, and then pasted that address into MIF (in 'img' tags nested inside 'hide' tags)...which gives me:
CRkvwKf.jpeg

You'll see that the image address is very different from that of the OP's.

Maybe my method would work for the OP on his device...

Last edited by phrontister (2022-09-28 03:12:49)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#4 2022-09-28 04:03:52

Bob
Administrator

Many thanks, Phro.  That's just what I needed. I'm gong to take out your hide tags to see if the image shows as was wanted.  If so, you have found a way to get the image onto MIF from imgur. Yay! It works!

As to the poster's question its simply this.  All x lies between minus infinity and plus infinity so why waste space including an inequality.

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#5 2022-09-28 09:14:04

sologuitar

Bob wrote:

Many thanks, Phro.  That's just what I needed. I'm gong to take out your hide tags to see if the image shows as was wanted.  If so, you have found a way to get the image onto MIF from imgur. Yay! It works!

As to the poster's question its simply this.  All x lies between minus infinity and plus infinity so why waste space including an inequality.

Bob

Thanks. I still would to see a defining inequality. Curious about what looks like.

#6 2022-09-28 09:16:26

sologuitar

phrontister wrote:

Hi Bob;

I use a PC, and so maybe my experience differs from how the OP's device works (or can work) with Imgur, but this is what I've observed and got:

The OP's address isn't to the image itself...it's only to the Imgur web page with the image on it (amongst other things).

An image address has an image format extension, such as PNG, JPEG...which isn't the case with the OP's 'https://imgur.com/a/MMz2Kir'.

Solution:
I copied the OP's url into my browser's address bar, right-clicked the image that appears on the resulting Imgur page, selected 'Copy image address' from the drop-down menu, and then pasted that address into MIF (in 'img' tags nested inside 'hide' tags)...which gives me:
https://i.imgur.com/CRkvwKf.jpeg

You'll see that the image address is very different from that of the OP's.

Maybe my method would work for the OP on his device...

Thanks but I don't have a computer or a laptop to do all that fancy stuff you talked about.

#7 2022-09-28 11:19:54

phrontister
Real Member

Thanks, Bob...glad it works for you. up

But the OP said:

harpazo1965 wrote:

Thanks but I don't have a computer or a laptop to do all that fancy stuff you talked about.

What device did you try it with, Bob? I'm hoping it was a smartphone, because, although I don't have one of those and can't perform the test, I thought my method would've been non-fancy enough to even work on a smartphone.

They have the capacity to perform the kind of copy/paste I referred to, don't they? dizzy

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#8 2022-09-28 14:32:17

sologuitar

phrontister wrote:

Thanks, Bob...glad it works for you. up

But the OP said:

harpazo1965 wrote:

What device did you try it with, Bob? I'm hoping it was a smartphone, because, although I don't have one of those and can't perform the test, I thought my method would've been non-fancy enough to even work on a smartphone.

They have the capacity to perform the kind of copy/paste I referred to, don't they? dizzy

What are the steps needed for me to post photos here using my cell phone?

#9 2022-09-29 02:14:49

phrontister
Real Member

#10 2022-09-29 06:44:37

Bob
Administrator

I cannot explore any at the moment.  I'll work on these in a couple of days.

Bob

#11 2022-09-29 07:56:18

sologuitar

Bob wrote:

I cannot explore any at the moment.  I'll work on these in a couple of days.

Bob

No problem.

Question:

How many threads am I allow to post daily?

#12 2022-09-29 07:57:33

sologuitar

phrontister wrote:

Copy. Good one. Now, let's get back to my thread. Do you understand my question here?

#13 2022-09-29 11:20:08

phrontister
Real Member

harpazo1965 wrote:

Do you understand my question here?

Sorry, but I don't.

My last year of maths was 4th year high school and I don't recall ever covering these kinds of problems. So I guess they were taught in higher levels...or maybe I just dozed off in class.

Last edited by phrontister (2022-09-29 15:28:40)

#14 2022-09-30 08:44:52

sologuitar

phrontister wrote:
harpazo1965 wrote:

Sorry, but I don't.

My last year of maths was 4th year high school and I don't recall ever covering these kinds of problems. So I guess they were taught in higher levels...or maybe I just dozed off in class.

1. The problems I have posted here thus far are intermediate algebra level. Nothing crazy like linear algebra or abstract algebra.

2. If you don't recall high school mathematics, why bother to reply? Seems like a big waste of your time and mine.

#15 2022-09-30 10:41:54

phrontister
Real Member

phrontister wrote:
harpazo1965 wrote:

Sorry, but I don't.

harpazo1965 wrote:

If you don't recall high school mathematics, why bother to reply? Seems like a big waste of your time and mine.

You asked me a question and I obliged with my response so that you weren't left wondering in the absence of one, and I simply stated my reason for being unable to assist...

Last edited by phrontister (2023-11-27 00:15:42)

#16 2022-09-30 19:32:06

Bob
Administrator

hi everyone,

My apologies for not being able to post properly the other day.  I was away from home just using a Samsung A21s mobile and a hotel wifi.  I don't like to openly state that I'm not at home so I had to be cryptic.  After a two hour queue (no exageration) at Schiphol airport in the line for security (the start wasn't even in the building!) I am now back on my laptop.

I see there have been developments.  The first post gave a link which didn't work on my mobile. But it did for Phrontister and he was able to convert so that it showed in his post.  So we were part way to a method to get images .  But that link now gives a 'no such address' error.  Either harpazo1965 has deleted it or imgur have moved it.  Odd.

Let's not waste any more time on that one.  I answered the question in post 4 and the definition, if you really want one, would have to be      -∞ < x  < +∞.

That's like saying x is a real number such that x is a real number.  True but not really adding anything useful.

I noticed while away that there are some more posts with images so I'm going to switch to one of those and see if I can get the image showing.

Bob

ps. How many posts are you allowed to make? I don't think there is a limit, but please use some common sense. If you post lots of questions I won't have time to answer them all.  If you post too much chat, you're in danger of breaking the spam rule.

#17 2022-10-01 15:02:37

sologuitar

Bob wrote:

hi everyone,

My apologies for not being able to post properly the other day.  I was away from home just using a Samsung A21s mobile and a hotel wifi.  I don't like to openly state that I'm not at home so I had to be cryptic.  After a two hour queue (no exageration) at Schiphol airport in the line for security (the start wasn't even in the building!) I am now back on my laptop.

I see there have been developments.  The first post gave a link which didn't work on my mobile. But it did for Phrontister and he was able to convert so that it showed in his post.  So we were part way to a method to get images .  But that link now gives a 'no such address' error.  Either harpazo1965 has deleted it or imgur have moved it.  Odd.

Let's not waste any more time on that one.  I answered the question in post 4 and the definition, if you really want one, would have to be      -∞ < x  < +∞.

That's like saying x is a real number such that x is a real number.  True but not really adding anything useful.

I noticed while away that there are some more posts with images so I'm going to switch to one of those and see if I can get the image showing.

Bob

ps. How many posts are you allowed to make? I don't think there is a limit, but please use some common sense. If you post lots of questions I won't have time to answer them all.  If you post too much chat, you're in danger of breaking the spam rule.

I will concentrate on word problems and questions that do not involve images moving forward. The image problem has been solved.

Board footer