Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-26 14:01:55

sologuitar

Greetings From NYC

I will not reveal my real name in an open forum but just wanted to say that I am happy to have found this math site. I am currently reviewing math learned long ago.

1. I am not a student. My last semester as a college student ended in December 1993. I am 57 years old. Yes, middle-aged and aging rapidly. Yes, old age is just around the corner. Life drags! What can I say? Our time on this planet is very short.

2. As you read above, I am not a classroom student and thus NO NEED to indicate in your reply to my threads that I should do my own homework. Homework? What's that?

3. Currently revisiting Precalculus on my way to Calculus. I wanted to study Calculus back in my student days. However, no need to take the course as a Sociology major in the 90s.

4. I live in NYC but I am not a fan of what the city has become in the last 30 years. I don't recognize this place anymore. I hate it here and hope to leave it all behind someday.

5. I have been playing solo guitar since the age of 9. One of my favorite hobbies when not working on math problems is playing solo guitar hymns. I read and write music notation. I also read and write guitar tablature. If there guitar players here, say hello. This is it for now.

#2 2022-09-26 14:06:46

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Greetings From NYC

Hi harpazo1965,

Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2022-09-26 17:35:24

sologuitar

Thanks but you already know me, right?

#4 2022-09-26 18:18:33

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

harpazo1965 wrote:

I didn't know much before. Until your introduction, yes.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#5 2022-09-27 09:54:07

sologuitar

ganesh wrote:
harpazo1965 wrote:

I didn't know much before. Until your introduction, yes.

Let's keep our chat in terms of numbers and everything should work out. What else is a lonely middle-aged man to do? Math to me is like cross word puzzles are to many people. It's just a hobby. Revisiting Precalculus is not going to make me a math teacher or a math expert. It's just for fun and education. Come along for the ride.

Board footer