Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-23 23:19:21

aditsings

How to strengthen basics?

I am an Indian engineering aspirant,and I've my entrance exam in 1.5 years...I enrolled myself in a coaching for the preparation,but I can't understand a single mathematics lecture.My basics are very weak,and I don't know where should I start from, please help

#2 2021-08-23 23:50:10

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: How to strengthen basics?

Hi aditsings,

Welcome to the forum!

At the outset, I wish to inform you, we in the MathsIsFun forum are ready to help you.

In which level in Mathematics do you need help? Matriculation or Higher Secondary or College Level (University)?

You can post questions at any level.

Keep posting and answers will be given in a short time.

Good Wishes!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2021-08-24 00:18:27

Bob
Administrator

hi aditsings

Welcome! You're in the right place.  Start by having a look at this site:

https://www.mathsisfun.com/index.htm

You will find lots of basic instruction, well explained, and with many good, interactive things to try.  You'll need to search a bit to find the right pages for you ... but there are good contents pages to help and many cross links between similar topics.

Most pages also have questions to test yourself.

Not everything is yet in place for higher level work.  That's where the forum will be useful.  Just tell us the topics you are struggling with
and we'll do what we can to help.

Also you can post questions that you cannot do and we'll try to help.

Best wishes,

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2021-08-24 00:18:32

aditsings

@ganesh matriculation level, which is causing me difficulties in my higher secondary lessons, thank you for replying.

#5 2021-08-24 00:21:53

aditsings

@Bob thank you sir, I've been working on my trigonometry from there... another question: how do I speed up my calculations

#6 2021-08-24 00:50:43

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

Visit the link: Maths Is Fun.

You can see the links, as illustrations: (from the basics)

Trigonometry.

College Algebra.

Introduction to Trigonometry.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#7 2021-08-24 01:14:39

aditsings

sir, all my friends are solving all these advanced questions and here,im having a hard time to even understand the lecture properly.will i be ever able to catch up with my ongoing curriculum

#8 2021-08-24 02:03:12

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

I believe you start afresh and acquire the skills by practice. It is never too late.

You are young and time is on your side.

I think this earlier post  may be of help.

Studying maths effectively for getting good grades
from a member and my reply, the text reproduced.

1. Remember, the three dimensions of success : Determination, Dedication, and Devotion.
2. "Rome wasn't built in a day" is an adage attesting to the need for time to create great things.
3. Meticulous planning and Time Management is paramount.
4. Have a complete picture of the syllabus.
5. Eliminate weak links. The Strength Of The Chain Is In The Weakest Link.
6. Put one's best foot forward. Embark on an undertaking with as much effort and determination as possible.
7. Prayers help in many cases.
8. Well begun is half done.
9. Look for the positives in your life.

This is true for CBSE Examinations and others too.

Additional information : Use of logarithm tables, Ready Reckoner of conversion from one unit to another in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, use of appropriate units (preferably SI units), Use of Simple/Scientific Calculator, Definitions in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Basic Arithmetic operations and Laws of exponents/radicals, conversant with formulas are helpful.

Hope this helps. Further, I assure you of help in your academic pursuit as much as I can.

#9 2021-08-24 03:58:58

aditsings

thank you,sir!
but how do I manage this with the other 2 subjects especially Chemistry?
JEE's syllabus is quite extensive

#10 2021-08-24 04:47:30

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

JEE requires extra efforts. Every single minute of preparation helps. For Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics, coaching classes are of great help. Know the syllabus and plan accordingly. Poastal coaching also helps. Conventional coaching with class room sessions or study centres are better but online learning is equally good.

Make a list of reference books use it as much as needed. Membership in libraries are also helpful.

Don't miss seminars.

Interaction with the faculty is of immense help. If you have a doubt, take the help without hesitation.

Good Wishes!

#11 2021-08-24 06:56:13

aditsings

Sir, do you know any good online resources for the following two subjects: chemistry and physics

#12 2021-08-24 12:24:55

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

These may be of help. Feel free to ask for more information.

Physics Study Material for IIT JEE.

IIT JEE Chemistry.

Online CBSE Physics tutors.

Online CBSE Chemistry tutors.

I think one has to sign up.

Try if it works.

Board footer