Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-02 20:33:06

nycmathguy

Basic Limit Idea

Hello everyone. How are you? I want to learn calculus so badly. I plan to do a self-study through calculus l, ll, and lll. Before I think so far ahead, I need a clear, basic definition of the concept of a limit. Textbook language is never easy to grasp unless the student is gifted. I am not gifted mathematically but love the subject.

I understand the limit idea to be the following:

•The value a function is tending to without actually getting there.

•The height a function is trying to reach in terms of the y-axis.

•In terms of a point (x, y), the limit is (value the function is tending to, limit). In other words, x = the value a function is tending to and y = the limit, the height of the function.

Is my understanding of a limit clear or not?

#2 2021-06-02 21:39:55

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Basic Limit Idea

Hi nycmathguy,

Welcome to the forum!

I think you are on the right path.

See the links for reference:

Limits - An Introduction

Limits (Evaluating).

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2021-06-02 23:37:26

nycmathguy

Re: Basic Limit Idea

ganesh wrote:

Hi nycmathguy,

Welcome to the forum!

I think you are on the right path.

See the links for reference:

Limits - An Introduction

Limits (Evaluating).

Thank you for the links. I look forward to learning calculus on this site as well as on You Tube and other places online. Look for my questions.

Board footer