Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-18 06:49:25

mathland

Military Tactics

A dive bomber is flying from right to left along the graph of y = x^2.
When a rocket bomb is released, it follows a path that is approximately along the tangent line. Where should the pilot release the bomb if the target is at (1, 0)?

NOTE: I am not seeking the answer but the set up only. I will do the math work.

Thank you.

#2 2021-04-18 22:21:30

Bob
Administrator

Re: Military Tactics

dy/dx will tell you the gradient of the tangent line.  But you don't know the release point so call it (a,b)  The tangent line goes through (a,b) and you can also write the gradient in terms of a and b.  So form the equation of the tangent line (y=mx+c)

You can substitute for b using the original equation.  You also want the line to go through (1,0) so you cab use this to get an equation for finding a.

B

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2021-04-19 08:56:35

mathland

Re: Military Tactics

Bob wrote:

dy/dx will tell you the gradient of the tangent line.  But you don't know the release point so call it (a,b)  The tangent line goes through (a,b) and you can also write the gradient in terms of a and b.  So form the equation of the tangent line (y=mx+c)

You can substitute for b using the original equation.  You also want the line to go through (1,0) so you cab use this to get an equation for finding a.

B

I gotta play with this some more.

Board footer