Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-14 05:59:36

Double

Slicing method Integration Calculus 2.

I'm having problems trying to figure this out please help.

the equation is y=1-X^2 and you must slice with squares and they must be perpendicular to the y-axis.

#2 2020-09-14 12:02:07

Double

Re: Slicing method Integration Calculus 2.

it says to integrate and find volume

#3 2020-09-14 19:24:49

Bob
Administrator

hi Double

Welcome to the forum.

Sketch the graph and draw two horizontal lines close together from the y axis to the curve, so you have drawn a typical strip.  This strip has area x across and dy width. If you were asked for the area of the part of the curve between y = 0 and y = 1 you would add up the strips like this:

You cannot integrate a function of x with respect to y, so you need to substitute with

The resulting function is directly integrable.

But you ask for a volume, so I'll assume this means that the area is rotated around the y axis to create a solid 'volume of revolution'.

Go back to the original strip and imagine it rotates around the y axis so as to generate a thin disc.  The area of this disc is π x^2 ( ie. pi radius squared ) and so its volume is π x^2 .dy  Here the new integral:

Once again you need to replace the function of x with one involving y .......    x^2 = 1 - y

So we then end up with this integral:

Can you finish from here?

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2020-09-15 04:19:37

Double

Hey thank you for the help, and you are correct it was the volume of revolution I got that exact setup and got 1/2 unit^3 but I forgot to add the pi like always thank you for the help!

Board footer