Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-11 03:53:20

sybil8464

I have 3 very similar percentage questions please

Question 2

Candidate    Percentage of Votes
Sarah    46%
Mario    36%
Angela    18%

In order to win a runoff election, Mario needs more than what percentage of Angela’s votes to win?
______________%  (Round to the nearest hundredth of a percent if necessary.)
1) 77.56

2) 78.87

3) 87.78

4) 77.78 I chose option 4 for my answer. I took it gets over 50% but barely. I am really doubting myself, because the first time I got option 1) 77.56 and then decided to redo these questions and now I have totally confused myself.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Question 7

Sarah    47%
Mario    32%
Angela    21%

In order to win a runoff election, Mario needs more than what percentage of Angela’s votes to win?
1) 85.71      1)Was my first answer and then I redo it and it comes out different. I think I am exhausted It is literally dividing, adding and percentages.

2) 84.51

3) 85.17

4) 84.15
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Question 10

Sarah    47%
Mario    35%
Angela    18%

Question 10 options:

1) 83.89

2) 80.33

3) 83.33

4) 83.63 I chose option 4) to get more than the majority and my sister said it is 83.33. When I calculate with 83.33, it seems to me that it does not make it over 14% and I can not round up to 83.34 because it is literally 83.333333.

Hope someone would be kind enough to assist. I just want to figure out these last 3 questions out of 50 and sleep. I finished everything, and I always do every question twice, once initially and then again after completion to review and all my answers came out the same except these 3. Please help.

#2 2020-08-11 05:44:48

Bob
Administrator

Re: I have 3 very similar percentage questions please

hi sybil8464

Your answer for Q2  77.78  is correct.  You need 14+ out of 18.  14/18 is 77.7777.. % so choosing 77.78 does that.

For Q7 you need 18+/21 .  18/21 is 85.71428..... so strictly 85.71 is not enough.  But it's the highest answer so it'll have to do.  These aren't from Compu-High by any chance are they?  Because they use multi-choice and computer marking you cannot say none of these actually work, so try 85.71 and if you can point out to your tutor that it doesn't really work maybe they'll realise they need to take more care setting their questions.

For Q10 you need 15+/18.  15/18 = 83.3333 % so I can see why your sister suggests that, but once again it's not strictly enough to get past 50% of the votes.  So i like your thinking in suggesting answer 4.  However, I suspect the person who set the questions hadn't thought this through properly because of rounding.  I'm not sure how you answer this.  If you can write an explanation for your answer then you deserve extra credit but are their tutors clever enough to spot this?  Please post back what you submit and how it is marked. 

Best wishes,

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2020-08-11 23:37:47

sybil8464

I will definitely update you with my results in the next few days. I see what you are saying and after reading the question, it does says "needs more than what percentage". So I maybe over thinking it. It doesn't say, "What percentage ill bring them into winner's circle" but rather "needs more than". I ready to argue the point either way. lol Thanks for you guidance. Will update once I hear back.

#4 2020-08-12 00:00:15

sybil8464

IN Wesleyan U is where my Professor works, not sure where she is getting the tests, but I can tell you some of the question use the wrong wording, like inches instead of Ft and clash with the answers. Also, it never holds exponential format, so 10^8 looks like 108. Its a pain, but I am almost done. Luckily I am pretty good at spotting the mistakes and have had some help spotting them when I could not. lol

#5 2020-08-16 07:58:31

sybil8464

Dear Mr Bundy,

Thank you for your help. I redid all other the questions with only taking the minimal approach. Even though we did not agree that it was technically enough to win these elections, it was what they were looking for. I got all 30 correct, so thank you. You were right when you said they dd not think it out or delve that far into the answer. Made a 97% on the test overall and the only one I missed was a stupid mistake on my part.

#6 2020-08-16 10:19:50

Bob
Administrator

Hi,

You are very welcome.  It's been a pleasure to help someone who is so polite and has such a good grasp of the topic.  I have always had a great regard for any pupil who really thinks it through and doesn't just go for the 'expected' answer.  Hope the rest of your studies go well but do post again, either for help or just so we know how it's going.  smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer