Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-19 17:33:13

666 bro

Self learning maths

1:Are there any mathematicians who were self learnt ?
2:And upto to which concepts are suitable for self learning in maths?

"An equation for me has no meaning, unless it expresses a thought of God"- Srinivasa ramanujan

#2 2020-03-19 21:08:09

Bob
Administrator

Re: Self learning maths

hi 666 bro,

Most of my learning of maths was self taught.  In my day, from books, but nowadays from the internet too.  Lots of good resources out there.

I don't think I can say this topic or that can be learnt this way … it all depends on whether you're understanding what you're doing.

Two tips that work for me when I'm not understanding:

(1) Have a look ahead and see what's coming.  Sometimes it's easier to see where you are when you can see what is in front.

(2) Find some easy examples and get a feel for the subject … then extend to harder ones. eg. Try with numbers before trying to master the algebra.  I helped teach someone fourier analysis even though I'd never done it myself by constructing some saw tooth graphs.

And you are welcome to post here when you're stuck.  There are some very advanced mathematicians who are members, who may be able to help.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2020-03-22 02:08:32

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

My understanding is that almost all mathematicians who are doing research in mathematics are always self learning mathematics. There are a bunch of things in mathematics every mathematician is supposed to know. Think of these as building their toolbox. Mathematicians typically learn these tools from their undergraduate and graduate classes. When they do research, they cannot usually be taught things about their research area because their research area would be a very narrow section of math, of which very few people have knowledge of.

And upto to which concepts are suitable for self learning in maths?

You can self-learn virtually anything in mathematics. However, self-learning can often be very hard for a number of reasons. One of the reasons is that mathematics often gets rather abstract and it is difficult to keep yourself motivated.

It is a very good idea to set up a reading group or something for your mathematical learning goals. Find some buddies who would be learning the same concept with you. Meet up with them once in a while and discuss things. You might also take turns in doing things: for example, every week one person could read up something and present it.

You are also encouraged to use online resources, especially community resources such as this forum.

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#4 2020-06-08 22:46:34

666 bro

Are there any mathematicians who were struggled in learning some area of maths?

"An equation for me has no meaning, unless it expresses a thought of God"- Srinivasa ramanujan

#5 2020-06-08 23:07:15

Bob
Administrator

hi,

I'm struggling to understand contour integration at the moment.  Zetafunc has created some excellent u-tube videos on this (and many other topics) and I'm looking at these.

Step 1. Watch the video.  (or it might be look at an on-line page)

Step 2.  Try to repeat the question without checking back.

Step 3.  Repeat with harder examples until I become proficient.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#6 2020-06-24 03:11:25

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

666 bro wrote:

Are there any mathematicians who were struggled in learning some area of maths?

I am pretty sure the answer is yes.

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#7 2020-06-30 15:13:44

pi_cubed

666 bro wrote:

2:And upto to which concepts are suitable for self learning in maths?

I learned a lot of my math through books and the internet.

pi_cubed wrote:

Fun Fact: I learned algebra and a lot of the uniform polyhedra in 5th grade.

1. Yes. A lot of mathmeticians self learn math.
2. Any concepts can be learned, but some are harder to self learn.

Last edited by pi_cubed (2020-06-30 15:15:35)

pi³

#8 2021-09-06 05:12:40

mkrubin

I'm definitely self-taught!  I'm curious, and constantly comb the Internet for different ways to explain topics for myself and my students.  I used to be ashamed of this - would never tell anyone that much of the higher math I teach, I learned on my own.  Anyone else experience this?

The good part is that if I can teach myself, I can teach others.

#9 2021-09-06 12:36:05

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

You are in the right place. You can interact with many math enthusiasts! You can shared your knowledge with youngsters and teenagers.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer