Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-02 07:36:16

izzyl5

area of polygons

i need help with this
- For #3, 4, and 5, divide the polygon into triangles as shown in the lesson.
- You must show the work for any values not provided in the problem, including the height for the triangles in #1, 3, 4, and 5. 
- Do not use formulas from other sources. 

1. An equilateral triangle with a side of 1 inch

2. A square with a side of 2 feet 

3. A regular pentagon with a side of 3 centimeters

4. A regular hexagon with a side of 10 cm

5. A regular heptagon with a side of 7 inches.

6. A trapezoid where the height is 18 cm, base 1 = 16 cm and b2 = 8 cm.

7. A trapezoid where the height = 7 mm, base 1 = 26 mm and base 2 = 9 mm.

For #8 and #9, fill in the missing information for the following trapezoids. SHOW YOUR WORK to solve for the missing value.

height = 19.8 cm
b1 = ________
b2 = 14.4 cm
area = 401.94 cm2

height = ________
b1 = 20 cm
b2 = 21 cm
area = 205 cm2

10. If the area of a parallelogram is 690.84 m2 and the height is 20.2 m, what is the length of the base?

11. If the base of a rectangle is 28 cm and the area is 588 cm^2, what is the height of the rectangle?

12. What is the area of a parallelogram with height 26 cm, base 16 cm, and side length 28 cm? 

13. What is the area of this polygon?  Show all of your calculations.

ls_XF    =    53 mm    ls_XV    =    72 mm    ls_VR    =    16 mm
ls_FB    =    31 mm    ls_BT    =    31 mm    ls_EU    =    47 mm
ls_UL    =    31 mm    ls_TL    =    88 mm    ls_DE    =    16 mm
ls_RM    =    70 mm    ls_MC    =    21 mm    ls_DC    =    70 mm

14. What is the area of this rectangle?  Show all of your work.

15. What is the area of this polygon?  Show all of your work.

#2 2020-06-02 20:30:54

Bob
Administrator

Re: area of polygons

hi izzyl5

Welcome to the forum.

Did you read "Help Me. Read This Before Posting" ? http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=14654

It says "We are happy to help! But we don't do your homework for you."

Additionally, there is an on-line math tutoring company called Compu High.  They have raised objections when their copyrighted worksheets appear on this forum.  This looks like one of theirs.

So let's start again.  Tell us what you can do.  For example, can you work out the area of a triangle, given its base and height?  In a right angled triangle can you work out lengths using trigonometry.  Have you just tried question 2? If that has you floundering then we have big problems.

Is the method for 3,4 and 5 based on fitting the shape into a circle, working out the central angle and dividing the polygon into identical isosceles triangles?

I am happy to help but I need to know what you can already do and where your difficulty lies.

Best wishes, keep safe,

Bob

ps.  Just noticed that the last few questions have a diagram but it isn't appearing here.  How did you think we could help with those?

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer