Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-18 04:33:32

Devantè
Real Member

Is Windows a Virus?

No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

1. They replicate quickly - OK, Windows does that.

2. Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so - OK, Windows does that.

3. Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - OK, Windows does that too.

4. Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. - Sigh...Windows does that, too.

5. Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. - Yup, Windows does that, too.

Until now it seems Windows is a virus, but there are some fundamental differences: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Windows is not a virus.

It's a bug.

#2 2006-08-18 04:56:27

Ricky

Re: Is Windows a Virus?

I know this is a joke, but I really just can't resist:

1. They replicate quickly - OK, Windows does that.

Windows replicates?  It's been quite a while since windows has jumped from my machine to a friends over a network, or duplicated itself on my hard drive.  Heck, I wish it would do that.

2. Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so - OK, Windows does that.

Actually, no, they don't.  That is to say, in general, the vast majority of viruses run in the background to avoid detection.

3. Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - OK, Windows does that too.

Define "Trash your hard disk".  Most viruses replicate on your machine, thus taking up space, but it never damages your hard disk.  System files often modify themselves or replicate, but that is because all operating systems must do this to work.

4. Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. - Sigh...Windows does that, too.

I really hope there doesn't come a day when I meet a windows user who doesn't know that they use windows.  And what you describe above is a trojan, not a virus.

5. Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. - Yup, Windows does that, too.

It's a very complex thing to rate the efficiency of the operating system.  I would say that Windows is fast enough for my needs.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2006-08-18 10:49:17

MathsIsFun
Administrator

So what are you saying, Ricky? Windows is *worse* than a virus?

If only there were a simple replacement ... Linux holds promise, but never fulfilled. I think we need a version that installs and works similar (or better) than Windows, so people will say "just use X, its free and works better". For example switching to Firefox is easy - it is similar enough that you only notice it is better.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2006-08-22 10:36:24

All_Is_Number

MathsIsFun wrote:

If only there were a simple replacement ... Linux holds promise, but never fulfilled. I think we need a version that installs and works similar (or better) than Windows, so people will say "just use X, its free and works better". For example switching to Firefox is easy - it is similar enough that you only notice it is better.

Personally, I switched from a Windows XP machine to a Mac OS X machine, and have never looked back.

Out of the box security is WAYYYY better than Windows. The only "viruses" that have been found for Apple's Tiger operating system require multiple installation steps, including the user entering an administrator's password.

Virtually everything is more user friendly on the Mac. The biggest problem I had when switching was realizing that fewer steps were usually necessary to accomplish the same task, as compared to my Windows machine.

I used to believe that computers had issues, but now I realize that Windows has issues. Apple's operating system may not be free, but it certainly works better than Windows.

You can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once.

#5 2006-08-22 10:47:03

Ricky

No, that it's incomparible to a virus.

There can't be a simple replacement, windows won't allow it.  Game companies make games using graphic systems that work the best on the most popular OS, windows.  Windows won't allow people to port their graphic system (DirectX) to other OS's.  Thus, no game will work on other OS's, so anyone who wants games for a computer must buy Windows.  It's genius from a business perspective...

The only "viruses" that have been found for Apple's Tiger operating system require multiple installation steps, including the user entering an administrator's password.

That's because not enough people use macs to write viruses for it.

Virtually everything is more user friendly on the Mac.

Hence why I hate Mac's.  Too dang friendly, too many graphics.

Apple's operating system may not be free, but it certainly works better than Windows.

Yea, ok.  And by how do you judge such a comparison?  Your personal experience?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#6 2006-08-22 11:23:20

All_Is_Number

Ricky wrote:

The only "viruses" that have been found for Apple's Tiger operating system require multiple installation steps, including the user entering an administrator's password.

That's because not enough people use macs to write viruses for it.

Actually, there are far more obscure operating systems with viruses written for them. If I had the time, I would dig out the article showing a few such examples. OS X's security is by design, not by obscurity.

Ricky wrote:

Hence why I hate Mac's.  Too dang friendly, too many graphics.

So use Terminal. No need to be a hater! smile

Ricky wrote:

Apple's operating system may not be free, but it certainly works better than Windows.

Yea, ok.  And by how do you judge such a comparison?  Your personal experience?

My experience and the experience of at least a dozen friends who have all switched within the past couple of years, without regret. Most made the switch for the superior OOTB video editing capabilities, but now use their Macs for all their other computer needs, as well.

I like the fact that there's virtually no viruses, and the software is more user friendly. I also like that I don't have to worry about adware or spyware. My roommate, on the other hand, who is a computer geek's computer guru, uses Macs nearly exclusively for his own reasons. I could ask him what those reasons are, but I have to be in class in 13 hours, so there is not enough time! He knows both OSs inside and out. Macs are great for those who don't know much about computers, like me, and for those that know way too much about computers, like him.

Last edited by All_Is_Number (2006-08-22 11:25:20)

#7 2006-08-22 12:08:35

Ricky

It's been my experience that people who have problems with windows don't know how to use windows.

I have never had a virus since I became computerly (new word!) literate.  Why?  Because when I get an email that says, "Click here and download this program!", amazingly enough, I don't.  There are very few ways that viruses can get onto your computer without some sort of user interaction (mistake).

#8 2006-08-22 13:57:29

All_Is_Number

Ricky wrote:

It's been my experience that people who have problems with windows don't know how to use windows.

I have never had a virus since I became computerly (new word!) literate.  Why?  Because when I get an email that says, "Click here and download this program!", amazingly enough, I don't.  There are very few ways that viruses can get onto your computer without some sort of user interaction (mistake).

I agree; the people who have the problems with windows don't know how to use windows. Unfortunately, that describes a pretty large proportion of Windows users, perhaps even a majority. Since Mac OS X is far less prone to viruses, than Windows, these users are generally better prepared for internet usage on a Mac.

#9 2006-08-22 14:40:35

Zach

I'd totally link CAD and, I think, LICD to these forums, but they're WAY too rude for the forums.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#10 2008-04-08 08:48:27

simron
Real Member

All_Is_Number wrote:

what That's interesting. Our Mac OSX filled up WAY too fast on memory and now has taken over our house's network. I cannot do anything unless "the Mac is willing."

Linux FTW

#11 2008-04-11 00:20:47

U7109
Real Member

I have Windows. I'm using a Windows XP at the moment.

And Windows isn't a virus.

So there.

tongue

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination," ~ John Lennon

#12 2008-04-11 00:30:18

Identity

Vista.

With all the update popups I get every time I start up my computer, windows may well be a virus. Also, it keeps important files on my computer hidden from me, as if I was some simpleton who would mess up my computer at any chance. There's also so much security...

And it's impeccably slow... (slowing down the system is something viruses do well)

These big IT corporations such as Google and Microsoft are trying to take over the world. Google I heard, have been investing money in genetic experiments. They hope to compile databases on each individual. Scary.

#13 2019-11-27 20:25:34

Monox D. I-Fly

Ricky wrote:

I really hope there doesn't come a day when I meet a windows user who doesn't know that they use windows.  And what you describe above is a trojan, not a virus.

What's the difference between a trojan and a virus? And while we're at it, a worm as well.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

Board footer