Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-18 22:29:29

avaeliza

trigonometry

I can't figure out how to start these problems! I won't have an issue doing the problem but I'm not sure the formula for each of them. Please help! Thanks

1. A 30-60-90 triangle has a hypotenuse of 10. Use trig (sine, cosine, or tangent) to find the short side. Show your work.

2. A 30-60-90 triangle has a hypotenuse of 10. Use special right triangle formulas to find the long side. Explain your work.

3. A 30-60-90 triangle has a hypotenuse of 16 and a short side of 8. Use the Pythagorean theorem to find the third side. Show your work.

4. A 30-60-90 triangle has a hypotenuse of 16 and a short side of 8. Use special right angle formulas to find the third side. Explain your work. Does your answer match what you got on number 3?

5. A 45-45-90 triangle has a leg of 4[sqrt(2)]. What is the hypotenuse? Show and explain your work.

6. A right triangle has legs of 4 and 5. What is the hypotenuse? Show your work.

7. A right triangle has a hypotenuse of 13 and a leg of 8. What is the other leg? Show your work.

8. A 12-foot ladder is leaning across a fence and is touching a higher wall located 3 feet behind the fence. The ladder makes an angle of 60 degrees with the ground. Find the distance from the base of the ladder to the bottom of the fence.  Show all of your work.

#2 2018-10-18 23:11:22

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: trigonometry

Hi avaeliza,

Welcome to the forum!

Homework has to be done my the individual. However, the hints are given in the links.

Right Angled Triangle and Pythagoras Theorem.

If there is a specific problem, or two, a solution can be provided.

Ganesh.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer