Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-30 03:48:23

Alg Num Theory
Website

Error

I was trying post a new topic in the This is Cool section but I got the following message:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /post.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Why? neutral

Me, or the ugly man, whatever (3,3,6)

#2 2018-01-30 16:51:50

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Error

Hi Alg Num Theory,

Often, I get such messages. For example, earlier got these messages:

In Index» Ganesh's Puzzles» Doc, Doc!, I was unable to post. Today, I tried again, and got a favorable result!

This happens often.

When bobbym was the one of the Administrators, he too was unable to help me (I was a moderator then).

In https://www.mathisfunforum.com/post.php?tid=21873 today, I got the same message. (Jokes)

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /post.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I am unable to help you. I am sure MathsIsFun would help you and solve the problem.

Ganesh.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2018-01-30 19:19:34

zetafunc
Website

A particular word, link or phrase in your post (e.g. 'pok*r' or 'casi*o') triggered that response from the server. It can also happen if your post contains a certain number of links. This is a safety precaution: though it is an annoyance, it does prevent a large number of bots from posting highly unsuitable material. Try to avoid attempting to make the same post too many times if you are getting the 403 error: eventually the server will automatically ban your IP address, and MathsIsFun will need to remove your IP from the banned list manually.

#4 2018-01-30 19:49:29

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Thanks, zetafunc! I had been trying to discover what went wrong! I remember, bobbym said the same!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#5 2018-01-30 23:16:31

Alg Num Theory
Website

Thanks for your replies.

I don’t know what I’ve done but I hope it’s nothing wrong. For the moment I can get around using a proxy server. I just have to be extra cautious now or the proxy will get banned as well!

Me, or the ugly man, whatever (3,3,6)

#6 2018-02-03 17:01:36

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Yes zetafunc has it right. There are many automated spam attacks constantly going on, and the server has hundreds of rules to spot them. It simply denies. And if it gets several from the same location it will ban.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

Board footer