Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-05 22:17:42

havocentral

Probably Impossible problem, but maybe Im wrong

lY4nZm8.png

The grid is seperated into four 3zx3 boxes.

Rules :
Each box can only use the numbers in the box already.

Goal:
Each column has all three numbers already in the box. This is the easy one.

Under each number (1,2,3,4) in the first row, the rest of the numbers need to be under them in the second row.
So under the three 1's, there needs to be a 2,3 and a 4. Under the three 2's needs a 1,3, and 4. ect.

Same rules applies for row 3.

This may not be the place to post this, but I have been wracking my brain for hours trying to figure this out.

I have 4 groups of 3 models to paint. I want 3 blue models, 3 orange, 3 red, and 3 green.

I want to seperate the models into 4 groups of 3 with 3 different colors in each group. Then using the colors of each group. paint a strip and a dot. so that group of 3 uses its colors completely.

But like wise, I want a red model, with a blue strip, orange stripe and green strip. Same for dot.

This sis the best way i can explain it, and its probably mathmatically imposible, but I wanted to check with other people first

#2 2015-12-06 23:59:28

Bob
Administrator

Re: Probably Impossible problem, but maybe Im wrong

hi havocentral

Welcome to the forum.

I read these two and didn't understand either.  So I waited; hoping someone else would sort this out, but that hasn't happened.

It would help me if you gave an example or two for each, showing what meets the criteria.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2015-12-07 21:17:54

phrontister
Real Member

Re: Probably Impossible problem, but maybe Im wrong

Hi havocentral;

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the problem; and, like Bob, I need more info:

bob bundy wrote:

It would help me if you gave an example or two for each, showing what meets the criteria.

I've drawn a grid to get things started:

GJAbVpw.jpg

(a) There are four boxes, with columns A to L and rows a to d;
(b) Row a contains the numbers from your image, and shaded rows b to d contain the 3x3 grid from your image;
(c) I've populated the shaded cells with numbers 1 to 4.

I'd now like to know:
1. what (if anything) is wrong with
    (a) my grid, and
    (b) my number placement in the shaded cells.
2. the criteria by which any of the above fails.

Is the second part of your post (ie, the part referring to paint models) related to the first part? Like Bob, I don't understand that part either, and need more info.

Last edited by phrontister (2017-02-26 23:29:29)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

Board footer