Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-07 03:59:44

mikau

hehehe

Playing basketball at the park yesterday, and there was a kid on a bench doing his homework. "I hope he's doing math" I thought, "and I hope he needs help!"

suddenly he asked his friends "how many feet are in a mile?" his friends didn't know. Thats philadelphia for ya. lol. So I spoke up, "5280". Next thing I knew I was helping the kid with his homework. He was only in like 8th grade, I'd much have prefered he'd been in highschool and doing highschool level math, (more fun!) but it was still nice to be able to help.

I could probably make a fortune teaching n00bs math in philadelphia!

I'm teaching my younger brother 6th grade math and my younger sister Algebra 2 this year. w00t! Teaching math is fun!

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#2 2005-09-08 07:58:48

Zach

Re: hehehe

Did you just refer to someone that you don't know via-internet a n00b?

Pain. Must inflict... Pain.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#3 2005-09-08 10:01:29

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Great snippet of life in Philly !

Summer, and everyone in the park ...

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2005-09-08 16:19:36

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

kylekatarn wrote:

... but in the end...he didn't pass the exam and I felt a little guilty : (

During 1999-2000, I was teaching a student iin her Pre-University four subjects....Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and English...French and Computer Science she learnt by herself...She passed in all subjects other than Mathematics...initially I felt guilty, because I knew Mathematics was the weakest link...but I didn't give up....I taught her Mathematics for two more years, she finished her Bachelor of Computer Applications and is now doing her MBA in London! I had to learn Digital Logic Fundamentals and Accountancy to teach her for her BCA, now I am delighted!
Sometimes, you teach and the student doesn't perform well.....are the teachers to blame? I'd say No..... smile

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer