Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-10 18:39:19

JohnnyReinB

The Nhoj Files

I had this idea before. This is a sort of Sherlock Holmes mystery where you have to guess how the detective figured out the mystery. Pls post with hidetags if you have the answers. For those who are very observant, they'll get the answers pretty quickly, since the stories have all the facts needed to give the answer. Good Luck!

The Nhoj Case Files #1: The Case of The Pearly Diamonds

The afternoon soon gave way to night when I was called to HQ. It seems that the Pearly Shells, a highly renowned souvenir franchise, has housed a group of diamonds, hidden in the shells.

" Thank God you're here!" exclaimed Chief. "This case is cleaner than any I've ever faced before!"

"Got any suspects?" I asked.

"Yeah, three. The manager of the store, forty-nine years old, 183 cm tall, slightly overweight.. Came from California.

" Then there's the clerk, thirty-five years old. Hired recently. 142 cm tall. He's from downtown. Arrested 10 years ago for petty theft.

" And lastly, a regular. Got arrested 5 years ago for robbery. 280 cm tall, lean. He wasn't convicted, though."

After the talk with the chief, I went down to the Pearly Shells. The store was famous for its beautiful shells, the costly ones with mother-of-pearl coating. Inside, it looked like a seashore, similar to the one outside.

However, the room where the diamonds were found was small, 5 feet in height.  Boxes were stacked in one corner. Apart from the ceiling, which was riddled with cobwebs, the room was clean, just like what the chief said. No fingerprints, no hair strands, no luck.

Back in HQ, I was still wondering about the case. Then I remembered what chief said. I knew, this case is as good as solved!

In this first one, you have to figure out who was the smuggler...Good Luck!

Last edited by JohnnyReinB (2007-11-10 20:30:55)

"There is not a difference between an in-law and an outlaw, except maybe that an outlaw is wanted" wink

Nisi Quam Primum, Nequequam

#2 2007-11-11 03:47:37

mathsyperson

Re: The Nhoj Files

I could be thinking wrongly here, but

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2007-11-11 21:20:15

JohnnyReinB

Nice job, Mathys! You are absolutely correct, and you had one reason that I never thought of!

And now:

The Nhoj Case Files #2: The Case Of The Shadow Cop

At 5:00, my day off was, again, invaded by another case. Chief didn't tell me in the phone what was so important. Seems to me this was too important to have the possibility of tapping. My guess was apparently wrong.

"So," said the Chief. "you coming in quietly?"

"What are you talking about?" I said.

"I have proof," he said, placing a picture on the table. "that you are the Shadow Cop! this picture was taken two hours ago."

The Shadow Cop was a spy in the Headquarters that has been leaking information to the Shadow Elite,  a group of anti-us. Looking down at the picture, I saw  what appeared to be me, but was outside the Shadow Elite HQ. it was dated today. The sun was high in the sky, and a gathering of the suspected Shadows was taking place.

"Oh please. This is to easy", I said. "I can prove to you that I am most certainly not guilty because of this picture!"

This Time, you prove the detective's innocence...Good Luck!

Last edited by JohnnyReinB (2007-11-11 21:22:05)

"There is not a difference between an in-law and an outlaw, except maybe that an outlaw is wanted" wink

#4 2007-11-11 21:27:47

JohnnyReinB

Ok, whilst you think of that, I'll just post number three...

The Nhoj Case Files #3: The Case Of the Reformed Botanist

The ring of my cellphone ruins another perfect day. It seems that Harold Conguanco, the infamous crook who stole the still unfound Faith Diamond (unrelated), has been released on parole. Looks like its my job to keep an eye on him...

"In fact," said the chief, "You are invited to Harold's home. Looks like this is your chance to prove, or disprove, his innocence. You might even find the Faith Diamond!" Oh Boy...

The next day, on 8 o'clock in the morning, I went to Harold's home. It looks like Harold has a gift for planting. I passed the fruit section, filled with watermelons, apples, oranges, lemons, and other plants I can't identify. hey, I am not that good in botany.

Then, there was the vegetable section, inside was , cabbages, pumpkins, tomatoes, soybeans, bamboo, and more.

When I saw Harold, he was covered in dirt. I think he was out digging in the fungi section. " Hello there. as you can see, I have given up all criminal thoughts and am now enjoying my new hobby." he said. "You see, I am an accomplished botanist!"

Really?, I asked. I may not be sure about the giving up of criminal thoughts, but I am sure that you are not a botanist!

Now, you have to prove that he is not a real botanist...Good Luck!

(plus, can you figure out where the Faith Diamond might be?[note: there are not enough information to confirm this])

Last edited by JohnnyReinB (2008-04-27 22:16:39)

#5 2007-11-12 02:52:03

Zach

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#6 2007-11-14 00:15:40

JohnnyReinB

Ok, Thanks Zack, both of your answers are correct, and

#7 2007-11-15 21:11:53

JohnnyReinB

Here is no.4:

The Nhoj Case Files #4: The Case Of The 2 Million Dollar Photograph

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrring! darn this cellphone. When I retire, I'll throw it down the river. But right now...

"What? you found the what? Ok, are you sure?"

My client seems to have found the Portrait of Jaspuar,one of the oldest photographs taken by man, dated at least 1820's. It is believed to be worth two million. Of course, we have to be sure.

"Well, I am well versed with Jaspuar history, and I can fairly assume with certainty that this is the Portrait of Jaspuar!"

"How can you be so sure?"

"Well, it shows the Count of Jaspuar sitting down in the red armchair riddled with jewels. Behind him is a painting of his grandfather, with his trademark coat. I'm telling you, this is the real photograph!"

"Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. You may know more about Jaspuar history than me, But I am more sure than you that this photograph is fake!"

This time, prove that the photograph is fake.

Last edited by JohnnyReinB (2007-11-15 22:03:23)

#8 2007-11-15 22:02:40

JohnnyReinB

And no. 5:

The Nhoj Case Files #5: The Case Of The Included Letters

"What about these letters? These has to be original letters to the Count!" my client said, desperate to get at least one cent from the package he received which includes, not only the fake photograph, but a collection of letters as well.

"OK, then. Describe these letters," I said

"Well, they are 8.5 x 21 inches in size, the same with papers used in that period. They are enclosed in antique window envelopes, designed with the trademark design of the Count's favorite post office." He said. Oh boy...

"Just throw everything out," I sighed, cutting the call short. Sometimes, historians can be very farsighted.

#9 2007-11-15 22:22:20

JaneFairfax

#10 2007-11-15 23:10:14

JohnnyReinB

Haha. You got it! ...

So, answer #5 yet?

#11 2007-11-16 01:00:35

Zach

#12 2007-11-17 18:35:55

JohnnyReinB

Well, you still got it, whether or not the paper was 4.5 meters squared.

So, no. 6:

The Nhoj Case Files #6: The Case of The Hidden Will

On my way to my client and her two grown-up children's house, I reflected on the phone call I just had. It seems that my clients father(who was not in good terms with her) had recently passed away, leaving two hidden wills inside two envelopes in his study table(a wealthy businessman, he was a neat freak, and organized everything). One gave everything to my client's son , whilst the other to his sister.

"Well, can you figure this out?", said the son, Jake.
"Yeah, just get it over with and give everything to me," said the daughter, Natalie.
"Before I can,"I replied,"show me the letters, please."

Both letters were typewritten, and both had the grandfather's signature.

"Except for the straight creases in Jake's letter," my client explained,"both are exactly the same.

"My brother is a very good forger. He could have copied our grandfather's signature," said Natalie.
"Am not!"
"Are too!"
"Am not!"
For adults, they still act like children.

I finally stopped them, saying "I already know whom to give your grandfather's property"

So, here, you have to figure out who inherits the grandfather's property.It's actually pretty easy...Good Luck!

Last edited by JohnnyReinB (2007-11-17 18:37:47)

#13 2007-11-18 00:48:00

mathsyperson

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#14 2007-11-18 21:27:40

JohnnyReinB

Congratz, Mathys! you got it correct!

#15 2007-11-22 17:26:06

JohnnyReinB

Oh, yeah. Before I post anything new, has anyone figured out where the faith diamond might be?

#16 2007-11-30 15:23:23

JohnnyReinB

Ok, no. 7:

The Nhoj Case File #7: The case of the Psychic Letter

My friend, who is a Philippine Historian, though particularly new to the job, had a letter sent to him anonymously. This letter seems to be an original 1983 letter, sent to Benigno Aquino Jr. the week before he left the United States, and stated that he, exactly one week later, will die. My friend thinks it is real, and hopes to place it in a museum.

I, however, am a bit skeptical. So, I read it:

Mr. Aquino,

You will be destined to return to the ashes when the hour strikes 7 moons from today. However, it is my distinct hope that you will break your destiny, and truly overthrow the Dictator. Read this letter carefully.

DO NOT accept the dragons that the Dictator shall give you. They shall only breathe fire down your neck, whilst blaming another ruined soul.

DO NOT touch down on the NAIA, for this will only encourage your trip to the afterlife.

Lastly, DO NOT let any eyes touch this paper, for they, too, might break destiny and cause chaos to return.

Sincerely, A Faithful See

"Hmm, I don't think so!" I said. Really, historians are farsighted!

Now, you know what to do... Good Luck!

Last edited by JohnnyReinB (2007-11-30 15:25:03)

#17 2007-12-01 04:36:55

Zach

#18 2007-12-01 16:11:44

JohnnyReinB

Sorry, that's not the correct answer, Zach. If NAIA was indeed built in 1937, it does not contradict anything...

A hint though, you might be on the right track...

No. 7 is still open for takers!

#19 2007-12-01 22:35:37

JohnnyReinB

Ok, no. 8:

The Nhoj Case Files #8: The Case of the Unknown Birthdate

Rrring! This cellphone is really bothering my fishing trip, but what am I to do? It might be important...

Guess not...

"Quick, help me ! My client's daughter does not want to tell me her birthday!" Said Chief.

"Don't they all?" I asked, wondering what that has got to do with anything.

"However, she did tell me this riddle:

A month with no L, when I was born,
Starting with a T, my rare birthstone
Yet including the date, considered unlucky
My leaf would be by the name of holly

"Come on, help me. As a friend?" he begged.

"Oh all right, Chief," I said, giving him her birthday, before returning to my fishing trip

Now, you have to give her age, if today was December 2, 2007.

P.S. No. 7 is still unanswered (correctly, at least)

Last edited by JohnnyReinB (2008-09-16 04:20:13)

#20 2007-12-01 23:11:14

JohnnyReinB

Just to Recap:

#1: Mathsys got it 200%
#2: Zach got it just on time
#3: Zach got it simply, but no one tried to answer where the Faith diamond is
#4: Jane proved it right
#5: Zach was correct, whether or not the paper was 4.5 m. squared
#6: Mathsys answered right

EDIT:
#7: Zach answered correctly
#8: Zach answered wrong!

So, still open are:

#3's extra question, and

Good Luck!

Last edited by JohnnyReinB (2007-12-02 13:47:14)

#21 2007-12-02 11:16:47

Zach

#22 2007-12-02 11:21:47

Zach

#23 2007-12-02 13:44:21

JohnnyReinB

Still, you got #7 right!

Last edited by JohnnyReinB (2007-12-02 13:45:45)

#24 2007-12-03 01:53:14

Zach

#25 2007-12-05 23:01:41

JohnnyReinB

Ok, sorry for the confusion

EDIT:

When including the date, considered unlucky
/EDIT

Ok, Good Luck!

P.S. December is Holly Month?

Last edited by JohnnyReinB (2007-12-05 23:38:32)

Board footer