Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-02 02:17:04

nycguitarguy

Convert Standard Form to General Form

Convert each equation in standard form to general form.

The general form of the equation of a circle is given sat?

x^2 + y^2 + ax + by + c = 0.

1. (x - 3)^2 + (y + 3)^2 = 9

2. (x + 1)^2 + (y - 2)^2 = 4

Question 1

(x - 3)^2 + (y + 3)^2 = 9

(x - 3)(x - 3) + (y + 3)(y + 3) = 9

x^2 - 6x + 9 + y^2 + 6y + 9 - 9 = 0

x^2 + y^2 - 6x + 6y + 18 - 9 = 0

x^2 + y^2 - 6x + 6y + 9 = 0

You say?

Question 2

(x + 1)^2 + (y - 2)^2 = 4

(x + 1)(x + 1) + (y - 2)(y - 2) = 4

x^2 + 2x + 1 + y^2 -4y + 4 - 4 = 0

x^2 + y^2 + 2x - 4y + 1 + 4 - 4 = 0

x^2 + y^2 + 2x - 4y + 5 - 4 = 0

x^2 + y^2 + 2x - 4y + 1 = 0

You say?

#2 2024-03-02 02:25:03

Bob
Administrator

Re: Convert Standard Form to General Form

Both look good to me, well done.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2024-03-02 18:14:18

nycguitarguy

Bob wrote:

Bob

Well, well. . .it's about time. I finally do something right, huh?

#4 2024-03-03 03:28:48

KerimF

FelizNYC wrote:
Bob wrote:

Bob

By the way, it is always about time for me too. Some problems that need innovative ways to solve took me many years to finish properly.

I mean if one needs 'really' to solve something, he will do it 'for sure' sooner or later.
Inversely, even the greatest genius won't solve a problem in which he is not interested.

#5 2024-03-03 16:17:07

nycguitarguy

KerimF wrote:
FelizNYC wrote:
Bob wrote:

Bob

By the way, it is always about time for me too. Some problems that need innovative ways to solve took me many years to finish properly.

I mean if one needs 'really' to solve something, he will do it 'for sure' sooner or later.
Inversely, even the greatest genius won't solve a problem in which he is not interested.

I like math but lack the needed time to perfect it.

#6 2024-03-03 22:08:53

KerimF

FelizNYC wrote:
KerimF wrote:
FelizNYC wrote:

Perfection is relative to one's need. In other words, one does something perfect when he can let it be as he needed to be. And, in this respect, you do very well, so far.

We may conclude that no human can reach the absolute perfection since a human has no reason to be interested 'really' in doing 'everything'.
For example, although my grades allowed me to join the faculty of medicine and be a doctor, I chose to be an engineer instead.

Kerim

#7 2024-03-04 01:51:04

nycguitarguy

KerimF wrote:
FelizNYC wrote:
KerimF wrote:

Perfection is relative to one's need. In other words, one does something perfect when he can let it be as he needed to be. And, in this respect, you do very well, so far.

We may conclude that no human can reach the absolute perfection since a human has no reason to be interested 'really' in doing 'everything'.
For example, although my grades allowed me to join the faculty of medicine and be a doctor, I chose to be an engineer instead.

Kerim

Want to read something crazy? I have 3 college degrees and work as a patrol guard. How is that possible?

#8 2024-03-04 03:40:01

KerimF

FelizNYC wrote:
KerimF wrote:
FelizNYC wrote:

Kerim

Want to read something crazy? I have 3 college degrees and work as a patrol guard. How is that possible?

And what is wrong if a patrol guard is also well educated?
Once I met a person who returned home after getting a PhD in engineering and was jobless!

#9 2024-03-04 22:12:49

nycguitarguy

KerimF wrote:
FelizNYC wrote:
KerimF wrote:

Kerim

And what is wrong if a patrol guard is also well educated?
Once I met a person who returned home after getting a PhD in engineering and was jobless!

Nothing wrong with a guard who likes to learn.

#10 2024-03-05 13:06:17

amnkb

Plz dont feel down on yourself for being a guard
Id be scared even to try doing your job!
Youre brave!
up

#11 2024-03-05 18:27:26

nycguitarguy

amnkb wrote:

Plz dont feel down on yourself for being a guard
Id be scared even to try doing your job!
Youre brave!
up

1. Nothing to be brave about. I am security guard not a Roman soldier preparing for battle.

2. This job is abusive and degrading.

3. Security guards are underpaid and mistreated by the company who employs these people.

4. Security guard companies are all about coverage. Security guard companies care more about the client and the contract over the comfort of employees.

5. Security guards always get short-changed on pay day. For example, I work 40 overnight hours. Sometimes, my check is less than 40 hours putting tremendous financial stress on me.

I could go on and on. I am not ashamed to be a guard. I just dislike the way I am treated by the client but more so by the people who hired me.

#12 2024-03-05 19:50:28

KerimF

The beauty in life is that nothing will last forever, the hard days and the good days. Otherwise living would be a bored game, by winning or losing always.
But for someone to pass his hard days, he has to be confident that they will be followed by good ones (relative to age) sooner or later and without being expected.

I personally used to trust to no limit the Will/Power behind my existence. Otherwise, I would likely have ended my life in one of the hopeless hard situations which I had to face a few times in my life.

#13 2024-03-06 03:48:29

nycguitarguy

KerimF wrote:

The beauty in life is that nothing will last forever, the hard days and the good days. Otherwise living would be a bored game, by winning or losing always.
But for someone to pass his hard days, he has to be confident that they will be followed by good ones (relative to age) sooner or later and without being expected.

I personally used to trust to no limit the Will/Power behind my existence. Otherwise, I would likely have ended my life in one of the hopeless hard situations which I had to face a few times in my life.

We all gave a cross to bear from the cradle to the grave.

Board footer